The Capability and Acquisition Series is a practitioner level course providing you with an awareness of how UK MOD undertakes the end to end process of sourcing and supporting new and existing military capability. The course will provide you with the practitioner level skills (with relevant experience) to undertake the task. Successful completion of all three modules includes the receipt of the civilian professional qualification in either project or programme management. Read more Read less
The Capability and Acquisition Series is a practitioner level course, consisting of three modules. It demonstrates how the UK MOD undertakes the end to end process of sourcing and supporting new and existing military capability. Course topics are contextualised in the UK MOD environment with practical examples given throughout.
The course aims to educate you in the following areas:
- Capability setting
- Requirement setting
- Whole life support
- Integrated logistics
- Systems engineering
- Portfolio, programme and project management
Through undertaking this course, you will be provided with the practitioner level skills to be able to understand and apply UK MOD commercial, financial and investment appraisal processes to your own roles. Successful completion of all three modules also includes the receipt of the civilian professional qualification in either project or programme management.
At a glance
- Duration19 days total
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£6,650 Concessions available
Course structureBlended learning
What you will learn
CAPACA consists of a series split into 3 modules with the following top level objectives and modular structure:
- Module 1 – Capability: Acquire an understanding of the MOD’s capability management processes and their application in the development and generation of affordable and strategy-compliant force structures and military capability
- Module 2 – Acquisition: Acquire an understanding of the MOD’s acquisition management processes, preparing you to work within the MOD acquisition environment
- Module 3 – Project or Programme Elective: Provide specialised instruction and the opportunity to pass the examination necessary to receive the civilian practitioner level project or programme qualification that is relevant to delivering your primary job requirements.
This series will enable you to:
- Analyse how Defence works and how the UK MOD develops and sets its capability requirements.
- Outline the through life acquisition approach, known as CADMID (T).
- Explain integrated logistics and whole life support.
- Summarise systems engineering.
- Consider MOD commercial practice (including the commercial lifecycle), MOD finance (including the ABC process), and MOD investment appraisals process.
- Explore UK MOD tendering and break down the tender assessment process, known as AWARD
- Achieve the civilian practitioner level project or programme management qualification.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
The course uses a blended assessment approach which differs as follows by module:
- Module 1 (capability) – there will be a formative assessment and a quiz
- Module 2 (acquisition) – there will be a formative assessment and multiple choice tests with immediate feedback
- Module 3 (elective) – there will be a summative assessment and formal examination
Who should attend
This course is a prerequisite for a number of military posts.
If you are a civil servant, the course will provide you with the key skills needed to undertake a job in the capability and acquisition arena.
If you are an international student or from industry, the course will provide you with a working understanding of the process and lexicon the UK MOD use in the Capability and Acquisition arena.
The course is recognised as part of the military Capability and Acquisition FKSE (Functional Knowledge Skills and Experience).
If you successfully undertake all three modules from the Capability and Acquisition Series you will be awarded one or more of the following (depending on the learning pathway you have chosen):
- Managing Successful Programmes (Foundation)
- Managing Successful Programmes (Practitioner)
- Project Management Qualified (APM PMQ)
You need to have read ‘How Defence Works’ and undertake one of the following:
- Navy – link via DLE to Navy Acquisition System Awareness eLearning v1.0, hosted on the DLE under courses
- RAF – link via DLE to Air Acquisition Awareness training hosted on the DLE, under schools / RAF / COS Cap
- Army – link via DLE to Acquisition System Awareness ELearning hosted on the DLE, under schools / Army / Army Intelligent Customer / ELearning
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.