Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Electives may not run if there is limited student uptake. However, alternatives will be offered. The content in this module will help you gain an understanding of the structure, production, and analysis of metals used in ancient and historic artefacts
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
CostShort Course for Credit - £690
Short Course - £1,925
Course structureLectures, labs and practical sessions
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate analytical research on metals and metal production debris
- Formulate research questions that intervene in key debates about the use of pre-industrial metals
- Differentiate between different metal production processes through the analysis of metals and their production debris
- Design research strategies for most types of metallurgical remains found on archaeological sites.
- Introduction to Archaeological Metals: Key Questions and Approaches
- Ore Geology and the Metallurgical Process
- Non-ferrous metals
- Ferrous Metals: Iron and Steel
- Precious Metals
- Analysing Metal Production Debris: Slags and Technical Ceramics
- Metal Provenancing
- Case Studies
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the MSc in Archaeological Science.
Accommodation options and pricesThis course is non-residential. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information about our on campus accommodation can be found >here.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.