This course is designed as a "top-up" for engineering graduates with limited previous knowledge of aeronautical engineering. Read more Read less
At a glance
- 09 Jan - 10 Feb 2023
- Duration5 weeks
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£8,750 (tuition fee only). Concessions available
Course structureA 5-week course with a substantial number of practical sessions.
What you will learn
The course will provide you with
- To relate the principles of flight mechanics and the fundamental concepts of subsonic and supersonic aerodynamics to helicopter analysis.
- To describe the principles of propulsion system design and operation.
- To analyse the design and operation of military rotorcraft.
- To analyse the performance of various types of propulsion units fitted to modern rotorcraft.
- fixed wing aircraft flight mechanics
- rotary wing aircraft flight mechanics and aerodynamics
- aircraft propulsion
- aircraft structures and materials
- vibration and aeroelasticity
- transmissions and gearboxes.
TimetableThis course runs once a year.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationSuccessful completion of the course assessment will result in the award of twenty postgraduate credits.
Who should attend
Applicants holding a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering (or equivalent).
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
PLEASE NOTE: MOD applicants are required to register for the accredited short course.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.