A conceptual awareness of the key aspects of postharvest technology and the role they play in modern food supply.
At a glance
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Evaluate the impact of postharvest physiological factors on later stages in the supply chain,
- Critically appraise key preservation methods of fresh produce, including their advantages and limitations,
- Identify the most important postharvest diseases, evaluate their impact on raw materials and foods and propose appropriate control methods,
- Demonstrate a conceptual understanding of quality control issues in the postharvest situation and propose strategies for assessing quality in fresh produce,
- Debate the role of postharvest technology in the supply of food and the reduction of food waste in the modern world,
- Critically evaluate scientific publications in the field of postharvest technology.
- Fundamentals of postharvest physiology; pre-harvest factors, biochemistry, ripening,
- Preservation methods; cool chain, packaging, ethylene, specialist treatments,
- Postharvest diseases; physiology, pathology, principles of disease control,
- Quality control; biochemical changes, assessment methods,
- Food waste management,
- Case studies.
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Location addressCranfield University
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.