Understanding of how the biochemical composition of plant-based foods and beverages determines quality (e.g. colour, shape, aroma, taste, texture, nutrition) and value.
At a glance
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course you should be able to:
- Demonstrate a conceptual awareness of plant primary and secondary metabolism and comment on its importance in relation to food production.
- Relate biochemical properties of plants to key attributes that are responsible for food quality and value.
- Evaluate how the processes of plant breeding and cultivar selection can lead to improved crop quality.
- Develop advanced research skills in literature survey, critical appraisal and oral presentation.
- Composition of plant products used in the food and drink industry.
- Primary metabolites in plants in relation to food quality and diet: oils, carbohydrates and proteins.
- Secondary metabolites and bioactives in plant-based products: their importance in quality, value and human health.
- Mineral content of food plants: toxicity and human nutrition.
- The role of crop breeding and cultivar selection in improving quality traits.
- Survey and critical appraisal of relevant literature.
- Oral presentation practice.
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Location addressCranfield University
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.