An extensive range of facilities underpins the work of the Centre including our state-of-the-art laboratory where we undertake composites manufacturing related research. Our facilities allow us to provide tailored solutions to a variety of problems involving composite structural design and manufacture. We can provide concept design, modelling and test capabilities from preliminary to detailed (TRL1 to TRL6).
General equipment includes:
- Pilot scale composites manufacturing equipment including autoclave, RTM, infusion, press moulding.
- Various NDI capabilities
- Aircrafts wing structure demonstrators
- Thermal and thermo-mechanical analysis suite including DSC, DMA, TMA.
- Rheological analysis suite.
- Dielectric cure monitoring suite.
- Fibre optic monitoring systems.
- Mechanical testing lab including conditioning chambers, infrared/high speed imaging cameras, digital image correlation systems and phased array ultrasonics.
- Microscopy and surface characterisation suite.
- Robotic tufting setup.
- Ultrasonic z-pinning hammer.
- In house codes for variability analysis.
- Standard non-linear FE packages for coupled thermo-mechanical analysis.
A selection list of manufacturing and characterisation facilities at the centre is shown below:
|Vacuum assisted oven CALTHERM
2m x 1m x 1m oven 200°C
400C press 420mm platterns
|Air Press vacuum forming table
upper infrared heater
|20 ton hand operated
|Isojet piston RTM machine
|Mini RTM mould tool
|KSL Tufting sewing head
|7 axis robot Kawasaki
twin screw extruder
|Q200 MDSC Mass Flow control
and impact mechanical
|Vacuum assisted oven
|Six Axis Robotic Arm
fontune presses machine
|EXPERT® process system press