The Group applies its knowledge of materials, physics and engineering to a wide range of defence, security and industrial challenges.
Read more Read less
The Materials Science and Radiation Group manages a range of PhDs, master’s programmes and other postgraduate courses and contributes to other courses in the areas of defence technology, forensic science and security.
We have a strong research ethos and attract support from the likes of research councils, the UK’s Ministry of Defence, NATO and industry. We have an established track record in:
CBRN (Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear);
Metallurgy and mechanical properties;
Radiation testing of materials and devices;
Material failure analysis.
Our current research projects include:
- Advanced X-ray imaging
- X-ray backscatter imaging
- Materials identification and classification
- The human and X-ray interface
- Pyroelectric X-ray generation
- Novel techniques for monitoring low-level radiation
- High strain-rate material response.
We have an extensive range of facilities and testing services which include:
- Electron and optical microscopy
- X-ray imaging – micro CT
- X-ray fluorescence
- Optical evaluation – spectroscopic ellipsometry
- Thin film deposition
- Mechanical testing
- Physical testing and failure analysis service – Adrian Mustey
- Electron and optical microscopy – Dr Jon Painter
- Gamma irradiation – Mr Gary Wright