The Through-life Engineering Services Centre focuses on research (TRL 1-6) that enables us to manage high value engineering assets (e.g. planes, ships, submarines, trains) for optimised availability and cost. In order to achieve this, the Centre focuses on research related to physical degradation assessment and digital engineering technologies and processes.
The Centre was originally an EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing (2011-2016) and it has sustained its existence through numerous EPSRC, Innovate UK, EU and industry funded projects. The research projects last between three months and four years.
The Centre is divided into two groups:
Its key objectives are to:
- Develop non-destructive testing (NDT) technology and image processing techniques for improved diagnosis and feedback to design for service;
- Improve mathematical methods for micro level fatigue assessment;
- Further knowledge on quantifying compound degradation;
- Optimise complex engineering systems (including supply chains and productivity);
- Create innovative and potentially disruptive digital technologies (including virtual and augmented reality, and digital twins) to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in through-life engineering
- Develop methods for AI and machine learning in through-life.
For further information please contact Dr John Erkoyuncu, Director of the Through-life Engineering Services Centre.
The Centre is unique in its offering. We seek to co-ordinate and provide the research capability for the creation of high value engineering systems based on design and manufacturing for through‐life engineering services.
The mission is to develop knowledge, technology, process demonstrators, novel methodologies, techniques and associated tool sets to allow the concept design of high value engineering systems. This will be based on design and manufacturing for through-life engineering services. We aim to improve the availability, predictability and reliability of complex engineering products to deliver the lowest possible whole life cycle cost by developing technologies and processes to improve the design and manufacture of such systems.
We value integrity, inclusiveness, community building, flexibility, innovation and dealing with real life complexity.