Ultraprecision Technologies and Nano-engineering is the structuring of materials at the nanoscale; a realm where precision and accuracy often comes down to the ability to manipulate individual atoms. Read more Read less
Work is predominantly focused on the understanding of machining processes that are capable of creating engineered structures with up to sub-nanometre precision and accuracy. This ranges from better understanding of ultra precision diamond point cutting processes through to effects of manipulation of surface atoms using plasma and the synthesis of nanomaterials.
We serve clients from a multitude of industrial sectors. Some of our business partners include Element 6, Gooch & Housego, Hexagon, Microsharp, Qioptiq, SKF, Westwind and Zeiss.We have worked with a number of research funding bodies and not-for-profit organisations including:
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
We have a number of facilities at our disposal for use when undertaking research projects.
Our laboratories and equipment include:
• Design and manufacturing facilities to create a range of prototype nano and microsensors
• Metrology facilities for the characterisation of component dimensions at the sub-nano scale
• Ultra precision machine tools capable of nm accuracy and precision.
Working with us
We actively engage with industry using a multitude of routes ranging from small bespoke exploratory projects through to long-term multi-partner collaborative projects. In each case we work closely with our industrial clients to identify their core needs and define the subsequent project.
Examples of common formats include:
• Three-four month MSc student exploratory projects
• One year MSc by research student projects
• Three year PhD projects
• One-six month exploratory research projects
• One-two year concept development projects.