We have a well proven and recognised capability in operational analysis, modelling, simulation and synthetic environments. The expertise related to this area includes defence simulation, operational research techniques, statistical analysis and trials, wargaming and combat modelling, programming, computer graphics, weapon assessment and networked and distributed simulation. Read more Read less
The operational analysis and modelling and simulation capability encompasses the use of simple analysis tools and techniques, such as spreadsheet analysis, optimisation tools and soft modelling, through weapon system assessment (including lethality analysis) to force level focused tools and methods such as wargames (computer based adversarial and also open ‘seminar’ wargames).
Our staff are very experienced in using these methods for many applications including force structuring and uses and benefits of novel systems.
Topics and areas covered include:
- Operational analysis
- Decision analysis and judgemental assessment
- Risk and reliability modelling
- Probabilistic modelling with Bayesian networks and influence diagrams
- Simulation methodologies including discrete-event, system dynamics, agent-based and hybrid approaches
- Simulation and modelling in the form of virtual and constructive simulations across acquisition, experimentation and training
- Mathematical modelling including combat and logistical modelling
- Modelling and simulation of: compressible fluid flow; solid mechanics including impact.
- Scientific computing
- Automatic differentiation of computer programs
- Statistical analysis
- Technology enhanced learning.
The Simulation and Synthetic Environment Laboratory (SSEL) is a key capability and provides a focus for research and teaching.
About our research
Our research is highly regarded internationally and our academics are called upon to undertake progressive research projects and to provide impartial, expert advice on their subjects. Our approach to research and consultancy projects is flexible. While our main areas of research are defence and security, we often apply our knowledge to other sectors or to bring together multidisciplinary teams combining the skills of a number of academic areas.
Our research influences and informs the global defence and security sector. Forged through a distinctive blend of expertise, experience and facilities, we are leaders in defence and security research.
Working with us
There are a variety of ways in which your organisation can engage and work with us. We can provide real-world solutions that support and inform your operations, products and services. To highlight a few of the ways that you can work with us:
• Provision of expert advice;
• Sponsor a PhD student research project;
• Commission a research project;
• Collaborate on an research activity or project;
• Provision of support to a Masters project;
• Commission a customised development programme, tailored to the requirements of your organisation;
• Commission a consultancy project.
Clients and partners
We work closely with the military, industry and government departments to influence and provide leading solutions to major global defence and security challenges.
Examples of key business clients and partners include:
• AWE PLC,
• Research Councils,
• BAE Systems,
• AEL Mining,