Nanotechnology involves the manipulation of materials at the atomic scale where properties can be significantly altered by the inclusion or omission of just a few atoms. Read more Read less
Nanotechnology is multidisciplinary in nature and finds applications in a variety of sectors. This is reflected in the breadth of applications considered as well as the type of work which ranges from materials synthesis and understanding of potential risks through to manufacturing and testing of nanoscale devices.
We serve clients from a multitude of industrial sectors. Some of our business partners include Airbus, Anglian Water, NPL, Oxford Instruments, Qinetiq, TDK and Thales.
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Royal Academy of Engineering
Working with us
We actively engage with industry using a multitude of routes ranging from small bespoke exploratory projects through to long-term multi-partner collaborative projects. In each case we work closely with our industrial clients to identify their core needs and define the subsequent project.
Examples of common formats include:
• Three to four month MSc student exploratory projects
• One year MSc by research student projects
• Three year PhD projects
• One to six month exploratory research projects
• One to two year concept development projects.
We have a number of facilities at our disposal for use when undertaking research projects. We have a range of laboratories and equipment including:
• Chemical solution synthesis
• Design and manufacturing facilities to create a range of prototype nano and microsensors
• Nanometre level metrology
• Physical vapour and chemical vapour deposition facilities.