We have substantial expertise in Chemical Safety, Fuels and Environment impacts and provide education, research and consultancy in the areas of fuels, fuel additives and lubricants for those in the defence area, the petroleum industry and associated industries. Read more Read less
We run a number of short courses on fuels and lubricants and a longer eight week course on Petroleum Chemistry and Technology. These courses provide a basic understanding of the production and properties of fuels and lubricants for the non-specialist.
The capability includes expertise and education provision in:
- Fuels and lubricants;
- Crude oil;
- Refinery processes;
- Gasoline - grades, composition and properties;
- Diesel - grades, composition and properties;
- Aviation fuels - grades, composition and properties;
- Alternative fuels;
- Lubricants - types of base oils and additives;
- Fischer-Tropsch synthetic fuels from natural gas and coal;
- Properties of alternative fuels compared with conventional fuels;
- Compatibility of fuels with materials;
- Petroleum Chemistry and Technology.
About our research
Our research is highly regarded internationally and our academics are called upon to undertake progressive research projects and to provide impartial, expert advice on their subjects. Our approach to research and consultancy projects is flexible. While our main areas of research are defence and security, we often apply our knowledge to other sectors or to bring together multidisciplinary teams combining the skills of a number of academic areas.
Our research influences and informs the global defence and security sector. Forged through a distinctive blend of expertise, experience and facilities, we are leaders in defence and security research.
Our research related to liquid fuels and fuel additives include:
• Compatibility of Elastomers with Alternative Fuels
• Synthetic Fischer-Tropsch and GTL fuels
• Blends of bio-fuel and synthetic fuel with petroleum fuel
• Prediction of elastomer swelling
• Stability and handling of Jet Fuels
• Water shedding properties of fuel
• Detection of water in fuel
• Fuel conductivity
• Effects of fuel impurities on water separation and conductivity
• Oxygen content of fuel
• Fuel Additives
• Effect of fuel impurities on additive performance
• Static dissipator additive
• High temperature thermal stability additives
• Lubricity additives.
Working with us
There are a variety of ways in which your organisation can engage and work with us. We can provide real-world solutions that support and inform your operations, products and services. To highlight a few of the ways that you can work with us:
• Provision of expert advice;
• Sponsor a PhD student research project;
• Commission a research project;
• Collaborate on an research activity or project;
• Provision of support to a master's project;
• Commission a customised development programme, tailored to the requirements of your organisation;
• Commission a consultancy project.