Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defence (CBRN) is a diverse field and therefore our capability is drawn from several areas within the University. Read more Read less
Our primary activity is education and research, benefiting from excellent facilities, wide stakeholder input and 50 years of experience.
Our expertise includes:
- CBR handling and agent effects
- Nuclear weapons technology and effects
- Search, detection and identification
- Dispersion and mapping
- Platforms and systems integration
- Systems hardening
- Protection and response
- Academic, military and civil responder perspectives.
About our research
Our research is highly regarded internationally and our academics are called upon to undertake progressive research projects and to provide impartial, expert advice on their subjects. Our approach to research and consultancy projects is flexible. While our main areas of research are defence and security, we often apply our knowledge to other sectors or to bring together multidisciplinary teams combining the skills of a number of academic areas.
Our research influences and informs the global defence and security sector. Forged through a distinctive blend of expertise, experience and facilities, we are leaders in defence and security research.
Working with us
There are a variety of ways in which your organisation can engage and work with us. We can provide real-world solutions that support and inform your operations, products and services. To highlight a few of the ways that you can work with us:
• Provision of expert advice;
• Sponsor a PhD student research project;
• Commission a research project;
• Collaborate on an research activity or project;
• Provision of support to a master's project;
• Commission a customised development programme, tailored to the requirements of your organisation;
• Commission a consultancy project.
Clients and partners
We work closely with the military, industry and government departments to influence and provide leading solutions to major global defence and security challenges.
Examples of key business clients and partners include:
• AWE PLC,
• Research Councils,
• BAE Systems,
• AEL Mining,