We value diversity and recognise the new perspectives that this can bring to our working, learning and teaching environment.
Through our diversity initiatives we are creating a culture in which everyone is able to fulfil their potential. Initiatives include:
- Reviewing our recruitment and selection procedures to ensure that we attract diverse talent;
- Increasing the number of women on recruitment panels;
- Including a statement on diversity and flexible working on our job advertisements;
- Introducing a number of career development and support initiatives for female staff, including a mentoring scheme open to all, the Step Up Women's Network, Advanced HE's Aurora Programme and out internal Women as Leaders programme;
- Rolling our training and development on topics such as unconscious bias to highlight the impact of bias on key decision-making, and roles and responsibilities under the Equality Act;
- Working towards becoming a Disability Confident Employer;
- Moving our gender pay action plan forward.
Awards and recognitions
We are recipients of the following awards:
And member of:
- Advanced HE,
- the Women's Engineering Society,
- Working Families.
For us, diversity goes beyond simply that which is expected by law. Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and action plan, supported by a range of policies and procedures, highlights how we are going beyond these obligations to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination/harassment and victimisations;
- Promote equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not;
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristics and those who do not.