Cranfield is a global university. Our outlook is reflected in our teaching and research, whether that is through our global partnerships with business or other universities, or whether that is in the make-up of our staff and the students who come to Cranfield from hundreds of countries across the world.

We believe education and research are powerful tools that change the world. At Cranfield we pride ourselves on bringing together some of the brightest minds from across the world, to solve global challenges in our specialist areas.

The UK’s exit from the European Union has not changed our outlook on the world. We believe that international collaboration and knowledge exchange are a fundamental part of our education and transformational research which is the reason why we will offer a range of scholarships to support the students who will choose Cranfield in 2021/22.

If you are starting your studies, as an EU Student, at Cranfield in 2019/2020 or 2020/2021 your fees will be the same as a UK student, throughout your study period.

For more information or for any questions you have about Brexit or anything else we very happy to support you and answer your queries. Please contact or look at your country page if you have a question you would like us to help you with.

There are a number of useful resources where you can get additional information about Brexit, including:

  • The UK Government’s ‘Brexit check’ which contains advice on new rules that will apply from January 2021, including a number of useful links;
  • The UK Council for International Student Affairs have produced a helpful resource section on their website.

Additionally, answers to some frequently asked questions can be found below.

What fees will I pay in 2020-21?

If you are an EU student starting your studies in the 2020/2021 academic year, up to 31 July 2021, your fees will be the same as a UK student, throughout your study period and for the full duration of your course.

What fees will I pay if I start in 2020-21 but my course lasts more than one year?

If you are starting your studies in the 2020/2021 academic year, up to 31 July 2021, your fees will be the same as a UK student, throughout your study period and for the full duration of your course. If you decide to join another course after the 31st July 2021, you will be required to pay international fees. There will be a range of bursaries that you can apply for.

What fees will I pay in 2021-22?

Following an announcement by the Universities Minister on 23 June 2020, EU fee status students starting a course in 2021/22 will no longer be eligible to pay fees at the ‘Home’ rate and will instead be charged the higher ‘Overseas’ rate. This change will not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland, who will continue to be charged fees at the ‘Home’ rate for the duration of their course.

Course fees information for the academic year 2021/22 is available on our Fees and Sources of funding webpage.

What fees will I pay if I defer my offer to 2021-22?

EU students who deferred will pay the 2020-21 fees in 2021-22.

Will Brexit affect student loans and student finance?

If you are an EU student starting your studies in the 2021/2022 academic year, you will no longer be able to access financial support from Student Finance England. However, Cranfield will offer a range of bursaries to support you so fill up the form to check if you are eligible.

How will Erasmus programme be affected?

Cranfield University remains committed to ensuring student exchanges with European partner universities continue and we are strongly advocating for continued participation in the Erasmus programmes. The UK’s participation in Erasmus+ in the 2021/22 academic year has been confirmed.

Do I need a visa to study in 2021-22?

If you are an Irish national, these changes will not apply to you.

Date of arrival in the
Starting date of your
Visa requirements Tuition fees status
Before 01/01/2021 Before 01/01/2021 No visa required.
Apply for EU settlement
Home/EU fees*
After 01/01/2021 Before 31/07/2021 Visa required. Home/EU fees*
After 01/01/2021 After 01/08/2021 Visa required. International (Overseas) fees*
Bursary and scholarship available.

* for the duration of your course.

EU settlement scheme

The EU settlement scheme (settled or pre-settled) will allow you to:

  • stay longer than 30 June 2021;
  • work in the UK;
  • use the NHS for free;
  • enrol in education or continue studying;
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them;
  • travel in and out of the UK.

To apply, go to:

Application deadline: 30 June 2021.

Fees: free.

Visa (UK's points-based immigration system)

From 1 January 2021, the UK will implement a points-based immigration system (PBS). Read an introduction for EU students.  

To apply, go to:

Application starting date: 1 January 2021.

Fees: £348 + Immigration Healthcare Surcharge to get access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). As a student, you will receive a 25% discount on the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge.

To be eligible for a Student visa, you must demonstrate that:

  • you have been offered a place on a course at Cranfield University (conditional offer letter);
  • you are able to speak, read, write and understand English;
  • you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

You must also provide a digital photo of your face using a smartphone app or go to an overseas visa application centre to have your photo taken.

What will be my rights as an EU student?

On 13 July 2020, the government set out further details on the UK’s points-based system. These new arrangements will take effect from 1 January 2021, once freedom of movement with the European Union (EU) has ended. It will treat EU and non-EU citizens equally and aims to attract people who can contribute to the UK’s economy. Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now

To find out more about your rights as an EU and EAA citizen, go to:

Will my Cranfield degree be recognised in my home country/elsewhere in Europe?

UK degrees are recognised in many countries around the world, and there are a number of agreements between different countries that support this. Some of these are not related to the European Union which means that now the UK has left the EU, most academic qualifications are still recognised.

Can I bring my family to the UK to stay while I study? Will they need a visa?

Your eligible family members can still come to the UK (without requiring a visa) until 31 December 2020.

When they arrive in the UK, they should apply for pre-settlement in the EU Settlement Scheme. They will need to do this by 30 June 2021.

Those arriving from 1 January 2021 will need to apply for immigration permission to come to the UK under the immigration rules in place. To apply for a visa, please go to:

Can family and friends visit me for a short while I study? Will they need a visa?

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can continue to travel to the UK for holidays or short-term trips up to 6-months, without needing a visa.

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens - with a biometric chip in their passports - will continue to be able to use ePassport gates to pass through the border on arrival in the UK (this will be kept under review).

Until at least January 2026 we’ll continue to recognise identity cards used for travel by EU citizens and their EU family members who are both resident in the UK before the end of the transition period and hold status under the EU Settlement Scheme. We will also recognise ICAO compliant identity cards from this group beyond 2026.

Do I need a visa to work after my course has finished?

If you have successfully applied for the EU Settlement Scheme before 1 January 2021, you’ll be able to:

  • Work in the UK;
  • Use the NHS for free as you do now;
  • Enrol in education or continue studying;
  • Access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them;
  • Travel in and out of the UK.

If you do not apply for the EU Settlement Scheme or you arrive in the UK after 31 December 2020, you will need to apply for permission to work in the UK under the immigration rules in place at that time.

A new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years, or 3 years if you are a PhD graduate.

The global talent scheme will be opened up to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens. It will allow highly-skilled scientists and researchers to come to the UK without a job offer.

Will Brexit impact on the teaching quality at Cranfield and our ability to attract EU academics to work here?

Cranfield is a global university attracting students and staff from across the world. Brexit will not change this and we will continue to seek out the best teaching talent to maintain and enhance our students learning and experience with us.

Will Cranfield still benefit from relationships with other European universities?

Cranfield has partnerships with a number of universities through its European Partner Programme. Our strong links with our European partners span many decades. While the rules and regulations of how we collaborate may change due to Brexit, our partnerships are built on long-standing collaborations based on common goals around research and education.

Research students' co-supervision arrangements (with European institutions) - will there be any impact on field trips, conferences etc?

EU students will retain the right to freedom of movement within the EU.