Low Cost by Design (LCxD) is a network bringing together researchers who seek to explore how good design can lead to lower cost complex system acquisition.
LCxD addresses this challenge through a range of interdisciplinary work which crosses the traditional boundaries of engineering, management and the humanities.
People involved in the network
- Dr Michael Pryce, Cranfield (network POC, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr Andrew Dakin, 649 Ltd.
- Prof. David Andrews, UCL
- Dr Michael Weatherburn, Imperial College
- Mr Tim Jefferis, Dstl
- Costing Future Complex & Novel Projects - Jul 2015-Feb 2017 (EPSRC & Dstl in kind)
- Air System Programme Data – Mar 2016-Nov 2016 (Dstl/CORDA)
- Studies in association with BAE Systems regarding Air Defence concepts and requirement drivers - Sept 2016-Nov 2016
- Policy for Aerospace Industrial Strategy - Feb 2018-July 2019 (Higher Education Innovation Fund)
Network user community
- BAE Systems MA&I
- UK Ministry of Defence (DE&S & FinMilCap)
- Prof. David Kirkpatrick
Papers and presentations
- The $100 Billion Equation: Design, Cost and the Joint Strike Fighter - International Powered Lift Conference, Bristol, November 2018
- Costing Future Complex & Novel Projects
- Costing Future Complex & Novel Projects - Acquisition Research Symposium
Teaching and learning
LCxD research material is taught on these courses: