Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Space Systems
- Systems Engineering
Steve's academic training is in mathematics and experimental physics (Cambridge University, 1st class), then ecological physics (instrumentation and atmospheric physics; Cranfield Institute of Technology).
His research covers space systems and radar Earth observation. He recently led the European Space Agency study Hydroterra, a geosynchronous radar mission proposal to address science needs for the water cycle. Hydroterra was one of three candidates for ESA's 10th Earth Explorer mission. Research projects have included international field campaigns in US and Europe, involving ground-based and airborne measurement systems to study insect migration, land-surface / atmosphere interactions, and measurement physics for remote sensing. Another research area concerns the sustainability of space systems. He led the Cranfield University development of deorbit devices based on drag augmentation, which resulted in three successful payloads in orbit, including the first operational deployment of a drag-augmentation device in orbit. He has extensive practical experience including software development, electronics, signal processing, field experiments, and satellite payload design.
Steve has been involved in teaching space engineering subjects at postgraduate level for over 30 years, with experience running the MSc in Astronautics and Space Engineering as well as doctoral research student supervision. He is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Qualifications include membership of professional societies in physics, meteorology and remote sensing.
He was funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering for an Industry Secondment to Airbus, works as the UK representative for design engineering to the ISO committee for Space Systems and Operations (ISO TC20/SC14), and is chair of the Space Academic Network's working group on Space Engineering and Technology.
Academic interests / expertise include:
- Space system engineering
- Measurement physics and signal processing - especially for space sensor systems such as radar
- Radar and Earth observation applications
- Environmental applications - land surface and atmosphere in particular.
Current research projects:
- Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar (GEO SAR), Hydroterra mission development
- Sustainable space - space debris mitigation and remediation
- Low-cost de-orbit systems for small satellites (e.g. TechDemoSat-1 and ESA's ESEO mission).
His research sponsors include:
- UK research councils
- European Union
- European Space Agency
- BNSC / UK Space Agency
- UK Centre for Earth Observation Instrumentation
- Royal Society
- US Department of Agriculture
- UK space industry: SSTL, NPA Fugro, EADS Astrium
Articles In Journals
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Impey SA, Aria AI, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2021) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems, Acta Astronautica, Available online 10 June 2021.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2021) Drag augmentation systems for space debris mitigation, Acta Astronautica, Available online 01 June 2021.
- Hu C, Chen Z, Li Y, Dong X & Hobbs S (2021) Research progress on geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar, Fundamental Research, 1 (3) 346-363.
- Chen Z, Dong X, Tian W & Hobbs S (2021) Coherence-based geosynchronous SAR tomography employing formation flying: system design and performance analysis, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Available online 12 February 2021.
- Lagasio M, Meroni AN, Boni G, Pulvirenti L, Monti-Guarnieri A, Haagmans R, Hobbs SE & Parodi A (2020) Meteorological OSSEs for new zenith total delay observations: impact assessment for the hydroterra geosynchronous satellite on the October 2019 Genoa event, Remote Sensing, 12 (22) Article No. 3787.
- Hobbs SE, Monti Guarnieri A, Broquetas A, Calvet J-C, Casagli N, Chini M, Ferretti R, Nagler T, Pierdicca N, Prudhomme C & Wadge G (2019) G-CLASS: geosynchronous radar for water cycle science - orbit selection and system design, Journal of Engineering, 2019 (21) 7534-7537.
- Hobbs S & Sanchez JP (2017) Laplace plane and low inclination geosynchronous radar mission design, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences, 60 (6) Article No. 60305.
- Wang R, Hu C, Li Y, Hobbs SE, Tian W, Dong X & Chen L (2017) Joint Amplitude-Phase Compensation for Ionospheric Scintillation in GEO SAR Imaging, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 55 (6) 3454-3465.
- Andra Baduge A, Henschel M, Hobbs S, Buehler S, Ekman J & Lehrbass B (2016) Seasonal variation of coherence in SAR interferograms in Kiruna, Northern Sweden, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 37 (2) 370-387.
- Kingston J, Hobbs S, Roberts P, Juanes-Vallejo C, Robinson F, Sewell R, Snapir B, Llop J & Patel M (2015) Use of CYPRES™ cutters with a Kevlar clamp band for hold-down and release of the Icarus De-Orbit Sail payload on TechDemoSat-1, Acta Astronautica, 100 (1) 82-93.
- Llop JV, Roberts PCE, Palmer K, Hobbs S & Kingston J (2015) Descending sun-synchronous orbits with aerodynamic inclination correction, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 38 (5) 831-842.
- Hobbs S, Mitchell C, Forte B, Holley R, Snapir B & Whittaker P (2014) System design for geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar missions, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 52 (12) 7750-7763.
- Snapir B, Hobbs S & Waine TW (2014) Roughness measurements over an agricultural soil surface with Structure from Motion, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 96 (October) 210-223.
- Rajbansi B, Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2014) Hazardous odor markers from sewage wastewater: A step towards simultaneous assessment, dearomatization and removal, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 45 (4) 1549-1557.
- Mukherjee R, Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2012) Source areas for a passively diffusing methane gas from South Asian paddy fields using the Flux Footprint Model, Atmospheric Research, 104-105 154-163.
- Sheng W & Hobbs SE (2011) Research on compensation of motion, Earth curvature and tropospheric delay in GEOSAR, Acta Astronautica, 68 (11-12) 2005-2011.
- Bruno D & Hobbs SE (2010) Radar imaging from geosynchronous orbit:temporal decorrelation aspects, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48 (7) 2924-2929.
- Hobbs Stephen (2010) Disposal orbits for GEO spacecraft: A method for evaluating the orbit height distributions resulting from implementing IADC guidelines, Advances in Space Research, 45 (8) 1042-1049.
- Hobbs S (2008) Database of individual wheat plant motion in wind: Application to radar imaging of vegetation, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 148 (11) 1860-1868.
- Hobbs Stephen, Seynat Cedric & Matakidis Panos (2007) Videogrammetry: A practical method for measuring vegetation motion in wind demonstrated on wheat., Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 143 (3-4) 242-251.
- Hobbs SE & Aldhous AC (2006) Insect ventral radar cross-section polarisation dependence measurements for radar entomology, IEE Proceedings: Radar Sonar and Navigation, 153 (6) 502-508.
- Bruno D, Hobbs SE & Ottavianelli G (2006) Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar: Concept design, properties and possible applications, Acta Astronautica, 59 (1-5) 149-156.
- Hobbs SE, Sarkar U & Longhurst PJ (2003) Community modelling: a tool for correlating estimates of exposure with perception of odour from municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 133-140.
- Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2003) Landfill odour: Assessment of emissions by the flux footprint method, Environmental Modelling & Software, 18 (2) 155-163.
- Sarkar U, Hobbs SE & Longhurst P (2003) Dispersion of odour: a case study with a municipal solid waste landfill site in North London, United Kingdom, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 153-160.
- Hobbs Stephen, Dyer David, Courault Dominique, Olioso Albert, Lagouarde Jean-Pierre, Kerr Yann, Mcaneney John & Bonnefond Jean (2002) Surface layer profiles of air temperature and humidity measured from unmanned aircraft, Agronomie, 22 (6) 635-640.
- Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2002) Odour from municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills: A study on the analysis of perception, Environment International, 27 (8) 655-662.
- Hobbs SE, Longhurst P, Sarkar U & Sneath RW (2000) Comparison of dispersion models for assessing odour from municipal solid wastes., Waste Management and Research, 18 (5) 420-428.
- Lee SH, Le Dilosquer M, Singh R, Hobbs SE, Giannakopoulos C, Plantevin PH, Law KS, Pyle JA & Rycroft MJ (1997) Implications of NOy emissions from subsonic aircraft at cruise altitude, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 211 (3) 157-168.
- Hobbs SE & Wolf WW (1996) Developments in airborne entomological radar, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 13 (1) 58-61.
- Thomas G, Hobbs SE & Dufour M (1996) Woodland area estimation by spectral mixing: Applying a goodness-of-fit solution method, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 17 (2) 291-301.
- Hobbs SE (1994) Calibration and performance evaluation of a lightweight propellor anemometer for micrometeorological research, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 68 (3) 259-273.
- Hobbs SE & Hodges G (1993) An optical method for automatic classification and recording of a suction trap catch, Bulletin of Entomological Research, 83 (1) 47-51.
- Hobbs SE (1991) A radar signal processor for biological applications, Measurement Science and Technology, 2 (5) 415-418.
- Hobbs SE (1990) Kite performance measurements in natural wind, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 94 (932) 59-66.
- Hobbs SE & Wolf WW (1989) An airborne radar technique for studying insect migration, Bulletin of Entomological Research, 79 (4) 693-704.
- Hobbs SE (1989) Kite measurements in the boundary layer, Wind Engineering, 13 (2) 50-60.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE & Beck JC (2020) Drag augmentation systems for space debris mitigation. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC-20): The Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Quast R, Wagner W, Calvet J-C, Albergel C, Bertrand B, Brocca L, Filippucci P & Hobbs SE (2020) Assessing prospects of sub-daily radar-observations to improve the understanding of soil- and vegetation dynamics. In: EGU General Assembly, Online, 4-8 May 2020.
- Serfontein Z, Kingston J, Hobbs S, Holbrough IE, Beck JC, Impey SA & Aria AI (2020) Effects of long-term exposure to the low-earth orbit environment on drag augmentation systems. In: 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC-20): The Cyberspace Edition, Online, 12-14 October 2020.
- Convenevole C & Hobbs SE (2020) Physics-based clutter model for geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar. In: Mediterranean and Middle-East Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (M2GARSS), Tunis, 9-11 March 2020.
- Wagner W & Hobbs SE (2019) Resolving the daily water cycle over land with a geosynchronous C-band radar satellite. In: EGU General Assembly, Vienna, 7-12 April 2019.
- Convenevole C & Hobbs S (2019) Method for estimating clutter limited geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar performance. In: International Radar Conference: Sensing from Sea to Space, Toulon, 23-27 September 2019.
- Hobbs SE & Monti-Guarnieri A (2018) Geosynchronous continental land-atmosphere sensing system (G-Class): persistent radar imaging for earth science. In: 2018 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Valencia, 22-27 July 2018.
- Hobbs S, Sanchez JP, Convenevole C, Gibbings A, Germani C & Monti Guarnieri A (2018) G-CLASS: a geosynchronous radar mission to study the diurnal water cycle. In: 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC-18), 2018, Bremen, 1-5 October 2018.
- Hobbs SE, Convenevole C, Gashinova M, Cherniakov M & Cassidy S (2018) Feasibility of passive bistatic geosynchronous radar using comsat transmissions. In: 2018 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Valencia, 22-27 July 2018.
- Palla C, Kingston J & Hobbs S (2017) Development of commercial drag-augmentation systems for small satellites. In: 7th European conference on Space Debris, Darmstadt, 18-21 April 2017.
- Hobbs S, Convenevole C, Guarnieri AM & Wadge G (2016) Geostare system performance assessment methodology. In: 2016 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Beijing, 10-15 July 2016.
- Hobbs S, Guarnieri AM, Wadge G & Schulz D (2014) GeoSTARe initial mission design. In: 2014 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Quebec, 13-18 July 2014.
- Kingston JC, Hobbs SE & Roberts PCE (2008) Satellite in-orbit servicing concepts. In: 59th International Astronautical Congress, Glasgow, 29 September 2009 - 3 October 2008.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Assessment of SAR data and interferometric products for solid waste landfill management. In: RSPSoc Annual Conference 2005 - Measuring, Mapping and Managing a Hazardous World, Portsmouth, UK, 6-9 September 2005.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Earth observation for solid waste landfill management. In: 56th International Astronautical Congress, Fukuoka, Japan, 17 October - 21 September 2005.
- Roberts Peter C E, Bowling Tom & Hobbs Stephen (2005) MUSTANG: A Technology demonstrator for formation flying and distributed systems technologies in space.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) The application of space-borne remote sensing for landfill management. In: Waste Minimisation & Resource Efficiency: The Role of Physics, Institute of Physics, London, 23 March 2005.
- Bruno D, Hobbs SE & Ottavianelli G (2005) Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar: Concept design, properties and possible applications. In: 56th International Astronautical Congress, Fukuoka, Japan, 17 October - 21 September 2005.
- Lecuyot Arnaud, Hobbs Stephen & Honstvet Ian (2004) Simulation of rigidly-linked nanosatellites.
- Hobbs Stephen (2004) Dynamics and control issues for future multistatic spaceborne radars.
- Bruno D & Hobbs S (2004) Effect of atmospheric noise on SAR interferometry for DEM generation. In: 55th International Astronautical Congress, Vancouver, 4-8 October 2004.
- Andrews F, Hobbs SE, Honstvet I & Snelling M (2004) Fundamental physical limits for the size of future planetary surface exploration systems. In: 37th ESLAB Symposium - Tools and Technologies for Future Planetary Exploration, Noordwijk, 2-4 December 2003.
- Hobbs S, Stansbery G & Matos de Carvalho T (2019) Space waste. In: Waste: A Handbook for Management, Second edition, Academic Press, p. 567-583.
- Hobbs S (eds), (2006) Proceedings of 7th Conference on the Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space., Greenwich, London, UK: Cranfield University Press.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs S, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Assessment of hyperspectral and SAR remote sensing for solid waste landfill management, p. 103-110.
- Hobbs S (eds), (2004) Proceedings of 6th Conference on Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space., Riomaggiore, Italy.: Cranfield University Press, ed. 1st.