Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Explosives and Munitions
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
Shaun started his research career as an applied mathematician and was awarded his PhD, concerned with morphological and hydrodynamic instabilities in binary alloy solidification, by Bristol University in 1990.
He then spent 5 years at BAE Systems' Sowerby Research Centre developing computational fluid dynamics algorithms and software for transonic and supersonic aerodynamics with an emphasis on methods for shocks and adaptive meshing.
In 1994 Shaun joined Cranfield University as a lecturer in Applied Mathematics at Shrivenham. Since then, has built up an international research reputation in the field of Algorithmic (Automatic) Differentiation (AD). This has involved both developing new computer packages for differentiating programs written in Fortran and Matlab, and also applying AD techniques to computational fluid dynamics solvers for industrial partners such as: QinetiQ, BAE Systems Ltd, Airbus UK. He is actively involved in the international AD community and was co-editor of Recent Advances in Algorithmic Differentiation, the Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Automatic Differentiation, July 2012.
Shaun, Emmanuel Tadjouddine, John Pryce and John Reid, were the first to implement the vertex elimination algorithm for automatic differentiation using compiler-like source transformation methods and demonstrated that such an approach could greatly improve the efficiency of automatically generated code for calculating Jacobians
Between 1998 and 2006 Shaun was involved in the development of the research codes Air3D and Air3Dfft, which are well known in the blast loading and hazard assessment community. This work was performed in conjunction with civil engineers and former colleagues Dr Peter Smith and Dr Tim Rose. This work has now been superseded by the development of the commercialised ProSAir package.
Shaun has an international research reputation in the field of Algorithmic (or Automatic) Differentiation, the differentiation of functions specified by computer programs. He led, with colleagues Patrick Farrell (University of Oxford), Andreas Griewank (Yachaytech University), Paul Hovland (Argonne Labs.) and Jens-Dominik Mueller (Queen Mary University of London) the organisation of the 7th International Conference on Algorithmic Differentiation held in Oxford in September 2016. He is guest editing a special edition of Optimization Methods and Software for papers arising from the conference.
Shaun has commercialised ProSAir, Cranfield University's Cartesian Mesh CFD solver specialised for assessing blast loads on structures. ProSAir is available for both Commercial and Academic use and is a successor to the Air3D research code. For more details see the ProSAir homepage.
Using his expertise from the ProSAir project, Shaun is currently working with Stephen Johnson and other colleagues on development of terrorism risk models for insurers Pool Re and Guy Carpenter.
Since 2001 Shaun has developed the MAD package for algorithmic differentiation of computer programs written in the Matlab programming language. MAD has featured in many publications and is commercially licensed by the University for distribution by the TOMLAB company.
- Pool Re and Guy Carpenter - developing models for terrorism risk assessment.
- Airbus UK and BAE Systems - use of Algorithmic Differentiation to develop an adjoint unstructured finite volume CFD solver.
- BAE Systems - CFD tools for blast prediction.
- TOMLAB Optimization (USA) - commercialisation of the MAD package for Algorithmic Differentiation in MATLAB.
Articles In Journals
- Menshikova M & Forth SA (2012) Automatic differentiation of quadrature, Optimization Methods and Software, 27 (2) 323-335.
- Forth SA & Sharma NK (2010) A sparse matrix approach to reverse mode automatic differentiation in Matlab, Procedia Computer Science, 1 (1) 1863-1871.
- Forth SA (2006) An efficient overloaded implementation of forward mode automatic differentiation in MATLAB, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 32 (2) 195-222.
- Shampine LF, Ketzscher R & Forth SA (2005) Using AD to solve BVPs in MATLAB, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 31 (1) 79-94.
- Tadjouddine M, Forth SA & Qin N (2005) Elimination AD applied to Jacobian Assembly for an implicit compressible CFD solver, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 47 (10) 1315-1321.
- Ringrose TJ & Forth SA (2005) Simplifying multivariate second-order response surfaces by fitting constrained models using automatic differentiation., Technometrics, 47 (3) 249-259.
- Forth SA, Tadjouddine M, Pryce JD & Reid JK (2004) Jacobian Code Generated by Source Transformation and Vertex Elimination can be as Efficient as Hand-Coding, ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 30 (3) 266-299.
- Forth S & Wheeler A (1992) Coupled convective and morphological instability in a simple model of the solidification of a binary alloy, including a shear flow, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 236 61-94.
- Forth S & Wheeler A (1989) Hydrodynamic and morphological stability of the unidirectional solidification of a freezing binary alloy : a simple model, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 202 339-366.
- Forth S (2016) A Matlab implementation of the Minpack-2 Test Problem Collection. In: 7th International Conference on Algorithmic Differentiation, Oxford, 12 September 2016.
- Forth S A Matlab Implementation of the Minpack-2 Test Problem Collection. In: 18th European Workshop on Automatic Differentiation, Paderborn, 30 November 2015.
- Tadjouddine M, Forth S & Qin N (2005) Automatic differentiation of a time-dependent CFD solver for optimisation of a synthetic jet. In: International Conference on Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics ICNAAM 2005 , Rhodes, Greece, 16-20 September 2005, 16 September 2005.
- Rose TR, Smith PD & Forth S (2005) Development of an Adaptive Mesh CFD Code for High Explosive Blast Simulation. In: 12th International Symposium on Interaction of the Effects of Munitions with Structures, New Orleans, LA, 13 September 2005.
- Ketzscher R & Forth S (2004) High-Level Interfaces for the MAD (MATLAB Automatic Differentiation) Package. In: Fourth European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering ECCOMAS 2004, Jyv¨askyl¨a, Finland, 24 July 2004.
- Ringrose TJ & Forth S (2002) Improved Fitting of Constrained Multivariate Regression Models using Automatic Differentiation. In: COMPSTAT 2002 - 15th Symposium in Computational Statistics, Berlin, 24 August 2002.
- Forth S (2001) A second order accurate, space-time limited, BDF scheme for the linear advection equation. In: International Conference on Godunov Methods - Theory and Applications, OXFORD, ENGLAND, 18-22 October 1999.
- Forth S (eds), (2012) Recent advances in algorithmic differentiation, Berlin; Heidelberg: Springer.
- Gupte AKr & Forth SA (2012) An AD-enabled optimization toolbox in LabVIEW(TM). In: Recent advances in algorithmic differentiation. Forth SA, Hovland P, Phipps E, Utke J, Walther A (ed.), Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, p. 285-295.
- Padulo M, Forth SA & Guenov MD (2008) Robust Aircraft Conceptual Design using Automatic Differentiation in Matlab.. In: Advances in Automatic Differentiation, Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, p. 271-280.
- Tadjouddine M, Bodman F, Pryce JD & Forth SA (2006) Improving the Performance of the Vertex Elimination Algorithm for Derivative Calculation.. In: Automatic Differentiation: Applications, Theory, and Implementations, Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, p. 111-120.
- Tadjouddine M, Forth SA & Keane AJ (2006) Adjoint Differentiation of a Structural Dynamics Solver.. In: Automatic Differentiation: Applications, Theory, and Implementations. Buecker, Martin and Corliss G, Naumann U, Hovland P, Norris B (ed.), Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, p. 309-319.
- Kharche RV & Forth SA (2005) Source Transformation for MATLAB Automatic Differentiation.. In: Computational Science – ICCS 2006, Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, p. 558-565.
- Forth SA & Standingford DW (2003) A Discrete sensitivity solver for an Industrial CFD Code via automatic differentiation. In: Computational Fluid Dynamics 2002: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics ICCFD. Armfield S, Morgan P, Srinivas K (ed.), Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, p. 82-87.
- Tadjouddine Mohamed, Forth Shaun A & Pryce John D (2003) Hierarchical automatic differentiation by vertex elimination and source transformation.. In: Computational Science and Its Applications — ICCSA 2003, Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer Verlag (Germany), p. 115-124.
- Tadjouddine M, Forth SA, Pryce JD & Reid JK (2002) Performance Issues for Vertex Elimination Methods in Computing Jacobians using Automatic Differentiation.. In: Computational Science — ICCS 2002, Berlin/Heidleburg: Springer Verlag, p. 1077-1086.
- Tadjouddine M, Forth S & Pryce J (2002) AD tools and prospects for optimal AD in CFD flux Jacobian calculations. In: Automatic Differentiation of Algorithms: From Simulation to Optimization, New York: Springer, p. 255-261.
- Forth SA & Evans TP (2002) Aerofoil Optimisation via AD of a Multigrid Cell-Vertex Euler Flow Solver. In: Automatic differentiation of algorithms: From Simulation to Optimization. Corliss G, Faure C, Griewank A, Hascoët L, Naumann, Uwe (ed.), New York: Springer-Verlag, p. 153-160.
- Tadjouddine M & Forth S (2002) CFD Newton Solvers with EliAD: An Elimination Automatic Differentiation Tool. In: Computational Fluid Dynamics 2002: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Iccfd, Sydney, Australia, 15-19 July 2002. Armfield S, Morgan P, Srinvas K (ed.), Berlin; Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, p. 134-139.