Areas of expertise
- 1987 BSc (Hons) Human Psychology: Aston University
- 1992 PhD in Individual and Group Differences in Driving Behaviour: Aston University
- 1996 – 2001 Senior Lecturer in Psychology Division and Course Leader DeMontfort University
- 1994 – 1996 Senior Industrial Unilever PLC Psychologist Bedfordshire
- 1992 – 1994 Research Fellow School of Psychology Birmingham University
- 1991 – 1992 Research Associate Department of Psychology Leicester University
- 1988 – 1991 Research Assistant Applied Psychology Aston University
- 1987 - 1988 Unilever studentship School of Psychology Birmingham University
Dr Lisa Dorn is an Associate Professor of Driver Behaviour and Director of the Driving Research Group at Cranfield University. Lisa is also Research Director for DriverMetrics Ltd, a Cranfield University spin-out company to exploit her research in the design of driver risk assessments and behaviour-based interventions.
Lisa is President of the International Association of Applied Psychology - Traffic and Transport Psychology Division, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and a member of the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors.
In 2004, Lisa received the International Prince Michael Award for Road Safety and won the Knowledge Transfer Programme's 'Best Application of Social or Management Science' in 2008. Lisa hosted the International Conference in Driver Behaviour and Training from 2003 to 2013 and was Co-Editor of 'Human Factors in Road and Rail Safety' for 10 years.
Lisa has edited 17 books and published over 40 research papers. Lisa currently works with the private and public sector on research concerned with driver behaviour. Her work has been supported by government agencies, research councils and industry.
Current activities include:-
- Design of a learner driver psychometric profile for Mercedes Benz Driving Academy.
- Research for Jaguar Landrover on responses to in-vehicle design solutions.
- An investigation of safety culture for Gate Gourmet.
- Research for Unilever PLC to investigate the risks of driving for work.
- Construction of a simulator for fleet driver training for Balfour Beatty plc.
- Effectiveness of a simulator for driver training for Transport for London.
- Design and development of a driver risk assessment platform for Shell Global.
- European Union SIMTEB project to develop a European framework for simulator based driver training.
Previous and current clients include:-
- Transport for London
- Department for Transport
- Gate Gourmet
- Arriva Bus UK
- Astra Zeneca plc
- Jaguar Landrover
- Balfour Beatty plc
- Unilever plc
Articles In Journals
- af Wahlberg AE & Dorn L (2015) How reliable are self-report measures of mileage, violations and crashes?, Safety Science, 76 (July) 67-73.
- Sullman M, Dorn L & Niemi P (2015) Eco-driving training of professional bus drivers - Does it work?, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 58 749-759.
- Naveteur J, Cœugnet S, Charron C, Dorn L & Anceaux F (2013) Impatience and time pressure: Subjective reactions of drivers in situations forcing them to stop their car in the road, Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 18 58-71.
- af Wahlberg A, Dorn L & Freeman J (2012) Response to commentary on "The Driver Behaviour Questionnaire as a predictor of accidents: A meta-analysis" Commentary on the rebuttal by de Winter and Dodou, Journal of Safety Research, 43 (1) 90-93.
- af Wahlberg AE & Dorn L (2012) Commentaries and Responses to "The Driver Behaviour Questionnaire as a predictor of accidents: A meta-analysis", Journal of Safety Research, 43 (1) 83-85.
- Wahlberg A, Dorn L & Kline T (2011) The Manchester Driver Behaviour Questionnaire as predictor of road traffic accidents, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 12 (1) 66-86.
- Dorn L, Stephen L, af Wahlberg A & Gandolfi J (2010) Development and validation of a self-report measure of bus driver behaviour, Ergonomics, 53 (12) 1420-1433.
- af Wahlberg AE, Dorn L & Kline T (2010) The effect of social desirability on self reported and recorded road traffic accidents, Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 13 (2) 106-114.
- Wahlberg A & Dorn L (2009) Bus accident record;The return of accident proneness, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 10 (1) 77-91.
- af Wahlberg AE & Dorn L (2009) Absence behavior as traffic crash predictor in bus drivers, Journal of Safety Research, 40 (3) 197-201.
- Dorn L & af Wahlberg A (2008) Work-related road safety: An analysis based on U.K. bus driver performance, Risk Analysis, 28 (1) 25-35.
- af Wahlberg A E & Dorn Lisa (2007) Culpable versus non-culpable traffic accidents; What is wrong with this picture?, Journal of Safety Research, 38 (4) 453-459.
- Taylor Adrian H & Dorn Lisa (2006) Stress, Fatigue, Health and Risk of Road Traffic Accidents Among Professional Drivers: The Contribution of Physical Inactivity., Annual Review of Public Health, 27 371-391.
- Dorn Lisa & Stannard Jenny (2006) Simulator performance differences between experienced and novice bus drivers..
- Taylor Adrian H & Dorn Lisa (2006) Effects of physical inactivity on stress, fatigue, health and risk of at-work road traffic accidents, Annual Review of Public Health, 27 371-391.
- Dorn L & Taylor AH (2005) Stress, Fatigue, Health and Risk of Road Traffic Accidents Among Professional Drivers: The Contribution of Physical Inactivity, Annual Review of Public Health, 27 40180-44228.
- Dorn Lisa & Barker D (2005) The effects of driver training on simulated driving performance, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 37 (1) 63-69.
- Dorn L & Brown B (2003) Making sense of invulnerability at work—a qualitative study of police drivers, Safety Science, 41 (10) 837-859.
- Matthews G, Dorn L, Hoyes TW, Davies DR, Glendon AI & Taylor RG (1998) Driver stress and performance on a driving simulator, Human Factors, 40 (1) 136-149.
- Comber C, Colley A, Hargreaves DJ & Dorn L (1997) The effects of age, gender and computer experience upon computer attitudes, Educational Research, 39 (2) 123-133.
- Hoyes TW, Dorn L, Desmond PA & Taylor R (1996) Risk homeostasis theory, utility and accident loss in a simulated driving task, Safety Science, 22 (1-3) 49-62.
- Glendon AI, Dorn L, Davies DR & Matthews G (1996) Age and gender differences in perceived accident likelihood and driver competences, Risk Analysis, 16 (6) 755-762.
- Dorn L & Matthews G (1995) Prediction of mood and risk appraisals from trait measures: Two studies of simulated driving, European Journal of Personality, 9 (1) 25-42.
- Glendon AI, Dorn L, Matthews G, Gulian E, Davies DR & Debney LM (1993) Reliability of the Driving Behaviour Inventory, Ergonomics, 36 (6) 719-726.
- Dorn L & Matthews G (1992) Two further studies of personality correlates of driver stress, Personality and Individual Differences, 13 (8) 949-951.
- Matthews G, Dorn L & Glendon AI (1991) Personality correlates of driver stress, Personality and Individual Differences, 12 (6) 535-549.
- Matthews G & Dorn L (1989) IQ and choice reaction time: An information processing analysis, Intelligence, 13 (4) 299-317.
- Fisher D & Dorn L (2016) Teen and novice driver training and education. In: Handbook of teen and novice drivers; Research, practise, policy and directions.. Fisher D, Caird J, Horrey W, Trick L. (ed.), CRC Press, U.S., p. 265-285.
- Edmunds R, Dorn L & Skrypchuk L (2014) The profile of emotional designs: a tool for the measurement of affective and cognitive responses to in-vehicle innovations. In: Driver acceptance of new technology: theory, measurement and optimisation. Regan MA, Horberry T (ed.), CRC Press, p. 105-120.
- (2013) Driver behaviour and training.
- (2012) Advances in traffic psychology.
- (2008) Driver Behaviour and Training.
- (2005) Driver Behaviour and Training.
- Dorn Lisa (2005) Professional Driver Training and Driver Stress: Effects on Simulated Driving Performance, Elsevier.
- (2003) Driver Behaviour and Training.
- Matthews G & Dorn L (1994) Cognitive and attentional processes in personality and intelligence. In: International Handbook of Personality and Intelligence.. Saklofske D, Zeidner M (ed.), New York: Plenum Press.
- Davies DR, Taylor A & Dorn L (1992) Aging and human performance. In: Handbook of Human Performance. Smith AP, Jones DM (ed.), San Diego, CA, US: Academic Press.