Contact Professor Frank Horwitz
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754380
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/frank-horwitz-a0368a19
Professor Horwitz has lived and worked on four different continents and has over ten years' executive experience including ICI in the UK. He became Professor of Global Human Resource Management, specialising in Emerging Markets, in January 2014. Prior to this, he was Director of the Cranfield School of Management from April 2009 to December 2013.
He has a PhD and Masters degree in human resource management. Prior to Cranfield, Professor Horwitz was Director of the Graduate School of Business (GSB) University of Cape Town (UCT). He has been a Visiting Professor at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Nanyang Business School in Singapore and Haskayne School of Management in Canada. He was on the Strategy Council of the Sloan Centre on Aging & Work in Boston, is a Companion of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). He was on the Executive Committee of the Association of Business Schools (ABS), a member of the British Academy of Management (BAM) and former President of the South African Business Schools Association (SABSA). He is widely published and presents at conferences around the world.
His research interests include; IHRM in emerging markets, emerging market multinational companies, human resource strategies, workplace flexibility, high performance work practices, leading and managing knowledge workers, organisational redesign, cross-cultural mergers and acquisitions, and workplace diversity. He is on the editorial boards of the IJHRM, IJCCM, JEIT, Journal of Chinese HRM, Corporate Governance and other leading international journals. He has co-authored and edited a number of books including: the Handbook of Human Resource Management in Emerging Markets, Employment Equity and Affirmative Action: an International Comparison; Managing Human Resources in Africa; Managing Resourceful People and On the Edge: How companies Cope with Change. He has served on a number of company boards and has acted as a consultant in organisational change and human resource strategies for companies and governments in Canada, Namibia, South Africa and the UK. He has been actively involved in community service organisations throughout his career.
* Director Defence and Security Leadership Cranfield University* Professor of Global Human Resource Management - Emerging Markets, Cranfield School of Management, * Member EQUIS committee (European Quality Improvement System) European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) * Research - Emerging market HRM and emerging market MNCs, * Teaches IHRM, Leadership and Change Management.
- Government - Ministries of Defence (UK), Labour (South Africa), Singapore (Ministry of Manpower (MoM).
- Insurance and financial services - Alianz, Old Mutual, Johanesburg Stock Exchange(JSE)
- Manufacturing - General Motors, Johnson & Johnson (J&J), Nampak, Shell (Canada), Sasol, Lion Match
- Mining - Anglo American, AngloGold Ashanti, Impala Platinum
- Logistics - Maersk Group, Safmarine
- Retail - Pick n Pay, Woolworth, Truworths
Articles In Journals
- Horwitz & F (2017) International HRM in South African multinational companies, Journal of International Management, 23 (2) 208-222.
- Jackson T & Horwitz FM (2017) Expatriation in Chinese MNEs in Africa: an agenda for research, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Early Online.
- Cooke FL, Wood G & Horwitz F (2015) Multinational firms from emerging economies in Africa: implications for research and practice in human resource management, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26 (21) 2653-2675.
- Horwitz FM (2015) Human resources management in multinational companies in Africa: a systematic literature review, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26 (21) 2786-2810.
- Horwitz FM (2013) An analysis of skills development in a transitional economy: the case of the South African labour market, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24 (12) 2435-2451.
- Jain HC, Horwitz FM & Wilkin CL (2012) Employment Equity in Canada and South Africa: a comparative review, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (1) 1-17.
- Horwitz FM (2012) Evolving human resource management in Southern African multinational firms: towards an Afro-Asian nexus, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (14) 2938-2958.
- Horwitz FM & Jain H (2011) An assessment of Employment Equity and Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment in South Africa, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, 30 (4) 297-317.
- Horwitz FM (2011) Future HRM challenges for multinational firms in Eastern and Central Europe, Human Resource Management Journal, 21 (4) 432-443.
- Magoola I & Horwitz FM (2010) Performance poverty or poverty of performance leadership? The centrality of performance leadership and procedural justice in Africa's quest for development, Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 11 (5) 155-168.
- Horwitz FM (2010) Transforming the business school, BizEd (May/June) 34-39.
- Horwitz FM & Grayson D (2010) Putting PRME into practice in a business school, Global Focus- European Foundation for Management Development, 4 (2) 26-29.
- Magoola I & Horwitz FM (2009) Emerging from performance poverty in Africa: towards a performance literacy model, South African Journal of Labour Relations, 33 (2) 29-53.
- Horwitz FM & Jain HC (2008) Managing human resources in South Africa: A multinational firm focus, Advances in International Management, 21 89-124.
- Horwitz FM & Pundit P (2008) Job satisfaction and retention of nurses in the South African Labour market: survey findings, South African Journal of Labour Relations, 32 (2) 23-44.
- Horwitz FM, Hemmant R & Rademeyer C (2008) Chinese business negotiations: South African firm experiences and perspectives, South African Journal of Business Management, 39 (1) 1-13.
- Horwitz FM, Heng CT, Quazi HA, Nonkwelo C, Roditi D & van Eck P (2006) Human resource strategies for managing knowledge workers: An Afro-Asian comparative analysis, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17 (5) 775-811.
- Horwitz FM, Bravington D & Silvis U (2006) The promise of virtual teams: Identifying key factors in effectiveness and failure, Journal of European Industrial Training, 30 (6) 472-494.
- Horwitz FM, Chan TG & Quazi HI (2003) Finders keepers: Attracting, motivating and retaining knowledge workers, Human Resource Management Journal, 13 (4) 23-44.
- Horwitz FM, Kamoche K & Chew IKH (2002) Looking East: Diffusing high performance work practices in the southern Afro-Asian context, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 13 (7) 1019-1041.
- Horwitz FM, Browning V, Jain H & Steenkamp AJ (2002) Human resource practices and discrimination in South Africa: Overcoming the apartheid legacy, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 13 (7) 1105-1118.
- Allan C, Brosnan P, Horwitz F & Walsh P (2001) From standard to non-standard employment - Labour force change in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, International Journal of Manpower, 22 (7-8) 748-763.
- Horwitz FM & Smith DA (1998) Flexible work practices and human resource management: A comparison of South African and foreign owned companies, International Journal of Human Resource Management, 9 (4).
- Horwitz FM & Neville MA (1996) Organization design for service excellence: A review of the literature, Human Resource Management, 35 (4) 471-492.
- Horwitz FM, Bowmaker-Falconer A & Searll P (1996) Human resource development and managing diversity in South Africa, International Journal of Manpower, 17 (4-5) 134-151.
- Horwitz FM (2012) Employment relations in the BRICS countries. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2012, Cardiff, 11-13 September 2012.
- Jain H, Ng E, Haq R & Horwitz FM (2011) Comparative employment equity around the World. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2011, San Antonio, Texas, 12 August 2011.
- Horwitz FM, Kakabadse A, Kakabadse N & Myers A (2010) The leadership deficit of the chair of the board. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference 2010, University of Sheffield, 14 September 2010.
- Horwitz FM (2010) An analysis of skills formation in a transitional labour market. In: 11th International Human Resource Management Conference , Aston Business School, Birmingham, 9 June 2010.
- Horwitz FM (2010) Evolving international human resource management in emerging markets. In: International Symposium on Human Resource Management and the Creation of Effective Organisations in Africa, Nottingham Trent University, 13 September 2010.
- Horwitz FM (2010) Seven challenges for developing leaders in the post financial crisis world. In: Irish Academy of Management Annual Conference 2010, Cork, 1 September 2010.
- Horwitz FM (2009) Black empowerment and affirmative action in the South African labour market. In: Affirmative Action in the Labour Market: International Perspectives, London, 2 November 2009.
- Horwitz F (2015) International Human Resource Management - A Challenging Career. In: Human Resource Management for the Curious: Why Study Human Resource Management?. Lee Dyer and Kishor Vaidya (ed.), The Curious Academic Publishing, p. 1-4.
- (2015) Handbook of human resource management In emerging markets.
- Horwitz FM & Budhwar P (2015) Human resource management in emerging markets: an introduction. In: Handbook of Human Resource Management in Emerging Markets. Horwitz FM, Budhwar, P (ed.), Cheltenham UK and Northampton MA. USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, p. 1-18, ed. 1.
- Wood G & Horwitz FM (2015) Theories and institutional approaches to HRM and employment relations in selected emerging markets. In: Handbook of Human Resource Management in Emerging Markets. Horwitz FM, Bushwar P (ed.), Cheltenhan UK and Northamption MA. USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, p. 19-41, ed. 1.
- Horwitz FM, Budhwar P & Morley MJ (2015) Future trends in human resource management in emerging markets. In: Handbook of Human Resource Management in Emerging Markets. Horwitz FM, Budhwar P (ed.), Cheltenham UK and Northampton MA. USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, p. 470-488, ed. 1.
- Horwitz FM (2014) The Changing World of Work - Emerging Markets. In: The Role of the Chief Human Resources Officer. van Eeden D (ed.), Randburg South Africa: Knowres Publishing (Pty) Ltd, p. 17-30, ed. 1.
- Horwitz FM (2014) Employment Relations in the BRICS Countries. In: The Oxford Handbook of Employment Relations. Wilkinson A, Wood G, Deeg R (ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 448-472.
- Kakabadse A, Kakabadse N, Pierce C & Horwitz FM (2013) The Leadership Attributes of the Chairman of the Board: An International Study. In: How to Make Boards Work: An International Overview. Kakabadse A, van Den Berghe L (ed.), London: Palgrave MacMillan, p. 292-310.
- Horwitz FM (2013) Human Resource Management in Southern African Multinational Firms: Considering an Afro-Asian Nexus. In: Effective People Management in Africa. Newenham-Kahindi A, Kamoche K, Chizema A, Mellahi, K (ed.), London: Palgrave MacMillan, p. 126-151.
- Horwitz FM (2012) Introduction: The business of business is sustainable business. In: Cranfield on corporate responsibility. Grayson D, Exter N (ed.), Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 1-6.
- Horwitz FM (2009) Managing human resources in Africa: Emergent market challenges. In: The Routledge Companion to Strategic Human Resource Management. Storey J, Wright P, Ulrich D (ed.), London & New York: Routledge, p. 462-476.
- Horwitz FM & Mellahi K (2009) Human Resource Management in emerging markets. In: Human Resource Management - A Critical Approach. Collings DG, Wood G (ed.), London & New York: Routledge, p. 263-277.