Contact Dr Muhammad Roomi
Prior to joining Cranfield, he held a principal lectureship at the University of Bedfordshire, where he played a major role in developing the business school’s graduate programmes portfolio. He was also instrumental in setting up the research agenda for the Centre for Women’s Enterprise, with a focus on the growth and development of women-owned enterprises in the UK, Pakistan, and other Asian and Islamic countries. His innovative research and capacity building pedagogies in the field of entrepreneurship have been recognised, acknowledged and appreciated globally. Some of his awards include:
- International Council for Small Business World Conference Best Papaer Award, 2015
- ICSB/GIWE/IJGE/CWEL Best Paper Award, 2013
- Emerald Literati Network Outstanding Reviewer Excellence Award, 2013
- NCEE European Entrepreneurship Educators (3ep) Fellowship Award, 2012
- Emerald Literati Network Highly Commended Paper Excellence Award, 2011
- ICSB/NWBC/IJGE Best Paper Award on Women's Entrepreneurship, 2009
- University of Bedfordshire Commitment Awards for 2008 and 2009
- University of Bedfordshire Dean's Prize for Research, 2008-09
- NCGE Entrepreneurship Educators Fellowship Award, 2008
- Prowess UK Women's Enterprise Researcher of Year – 2008 (Finalist)
- Prowess & Lloyds TSB Innovator Award in Women's Enterprise Development, 2007
- Government of the UK Research Scholar, 2005
- University of London-Thomas Holloway Scholar, 2004
- World Bank/Joint Japan Graduate Scholar, 2003
- Reinhard Mohn Fellowship Award (Bertelsmann AG), 2002-03
- Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) Fellowship Award, 2001
Dr Muhammad Azam Roomi has successfully completed a variety of research and teaching/training assignments for the establishment and development of entrepreneurial ventures at international level.
Dr Roomi has acted as a consultant to a number of national governments including the UK, Qatar, Honduras, Pakistan, Vietnam, and Germany; multi-lateral agencies such as the United Nations, Asian Development Bank, European Union Higher Education Social Fund, ILO, and UN-APCTT; and private organisations such as CIPE Int., LEAD Int., and Bertelsmann AG.
Articles In Journals
- Santos FJ, Roomi MA & Linan F (2014) About Gender Differences and the Social Environment in the Development of Entrepreneurial Intentions, Journal of Small Business Management, 54 (1).
- Roomi MA (2013) Entrepreneurial Capital, Social Values and Islamic Traditions: Exploring the Growth of Women-owned Enterprises in Pakistan, International Small Business Journal, 31 (2) 175-191.
- Rehman S & Roomi MA (2012) Gender and Work-Life Balance: A Phenomenological Study of Women Entrepreneurs in Pakistan, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 19 (2) 209-228.
- Kumar M, Roomi MA & Chaudhry N (2012) Issues and Challenges Faced by the Potential Women Entrepreneurs in Pakistan: A Case Study of Sind Province, International Journal of Management Research and Emerging Sciences, 1 (1) 119-131.
- Roomi MA & Harrison P (2011) Entrepreneurial Leadership: What Is It and How Should It Be Taught?, International Review of Entrepreneurship, 9 (3) 1-44.
- Parrott G, Roomi MA & Holliman D (2010) An analysis of marketing programmes adopted by regional small and medium-sized enterprises, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 17 (2) 184-203.
- Chaudhry N & Roomi MA (2010) Accounting for the Development of Human Capital in Manufacturing Organizations: A Study of the Pakistani Textile Sector, Journal of Human Resource Costing and Accounting, 14 (3) 178-195.
- Roomi MA & Harrison P (2010) Behind the Veil: Women-only Entrepreneurship Training in Pakistan, International Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship, 2 (2) 150-172.
- Roomi MA (2009) Impact of Social Capital Development and Use in the Growth Process of Women-Owned Firms, Journal of Enterprising Culture, 17 (4) 473-495.
- Roomi MA, Harrison P & Beaumont-Kerridge J (2009) Women-owned small and medium enterprises in England: Analysis of factors influencing the growth process, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 16 (2) 270-288.
- Roomi MA & Harrison P (2008) Training needs for women-owned SMEs in England, Education and Training, 50 (8-9) 687-696.
- Roomi MA & Parrott G (2008) Barriers to Development and Progression of Women Entrepreneurs in Pakistan, Journal of Entrepreneurship, 17 (1) 59-72.
- Humbert AL & Roomi MA (2016) Motivations among women social entrepreneurs in 10 European countries and their relationship to economic and social measures of success (Highly Commended Paper, Gender and Enterprise track). In: Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference 2016, Paris, 27-28 October 2016.
- Roomi MA, Bhatt P & Waligo V (2014) ICT Enabled Mentoring of Women Entrepreneurs in Emerging Economies: Challenges and Prospects. In: 8th Gender, Work and Organisation Biennial International Interdisciplinary Conference, Keele, 24-26 June 2014.
- Roomi MA (2013) Her Family, Household and Entrepreneurial Venture: Using a Life Course Perspective to Make Sense of the Work-Life Choices of Pakistani Women Entrepreneurs. In: ICSB 2013 : The 58th Annual ICSB World Conference, Ponce, 20 June 2013.
- Roomi MA (2012) Transforming Contacts into Resources: The Effect of Women Entrepreneurs' Human Capital on Building and Using Social Capital for Enterprise Growth. In: ICSB 2012 : The 57th Annual ICSB World Conference, Wellington, 10 June 2012.
- Roomi MA (2011) A Contextual Analysis of Women's Entrepreneurial Activity in Pakistan: An Institutional Perspective. In: ISBE 2011: 34th Annual Conference, Sheffield, 9 November 2011.
- Roomi MA (2010) Gender and Work Life Balance: A phenomenological Study of Women Entrepreneurs in Pakistan. In: ISBE 2010: 33rd Annual Conference, London, 2 November 2010.
- Roomi MA (2009) Entrepreneurial Capital, Social Values and Cultural Traditions: Growth of Women-owned Enterprises in Pakistan. In: 54th International Council for Small Business Conference, Seoul, 21 June 2009.
- Roomi MA (2009) Role of Women's Leadership in Economic Development. In: Centre for International Private Enterprise-USA Women's Leadership Conference, Lahore, 25 June 2009.
- Roomi MA (2009) Entrepreneurship Development in Pakistan - Issues and Opportunities. In: Business Policy Roundtable, CIPE, Lahore, 22 February 2009.
- Roomi MA (2009) Entrepreneurial Leadership: What it is and How Should it be Taught? Growth of Women-owned Enterprises in Pakistan. In: 54th International Council for Small Business Conference, Seoul, 21 June 2009.
- Roomi MA (2008) Transforming Contacts into Resources: Women Entrepreneurs in the UK-Building, Maintaining, and Utilising Social Capital. In: 28th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, 5 June 2008.
- Roomi MA (2008) Women-Owned Enterprises in Pakistan: Factors Influencing Growth. In: Diana International Symposium on Women's Entrepreneurship, Belfast, 4 November 2008.
- Roomi MA (2007) Women-owned Enterprises in the UK: Analysis of Factors Influencing the Growth Process. In: 34th International Small Business Congress Annual Conference, Bangkok, 11 November 2007.
- Roomi MA (2007) Women's Entrepreneurship Development in Pakistan-Policy Implications. In: Business Policy Roundtable, CIPE-USA, Karachi, 21 January 2007.
- Roomi MA (2006) Women's Entrepreneurship: A Systematic Review of Contemporary Perspectives. In: 51st International Council for Small Business Conference, Melbourne, 18 June 2006.
- Roomi MA (2005) The Impact of Entrepreneurship Training on Entrepreneurial Performance of Women. In: 28th Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Conference, Blackpool, 1 November 2005.
- Roomi MA (2005) Women Entrepreneurs in Pakistan: Profile, Problems, and Policy Recommendations. In: 51st International Council for Small Business Conference, Washington, DC, 15 June 2005.
- Roomi MA & Harrison P (2008) Impact of Women-only Entrepreneurship Training in Islamic Society. In: Women's Entrepreneurship and Social Capital: A Dialogue and Construction, Copenhagen: Copenhagen Business School Press, p. 225-254.
- Roomi MA, Newnham J & Rehman M (2001) Commercialisation of Business Development Services through NGOs - A Case Study of AKRSP-Pakistan. In: Small Business Services in Asian Countries, ITDG.
- Roomi MA (2000) Proposed Strategy for the Establishment and Development of Small and Medium Enterprises in Pakistan. In: Small and Medium Enterprises in Asian Pacific Countries: Linkages and Policy Support, New York: Nova Science Publishers.