Contact Melvyn Peters
Melvyn has a BTech in Non-metallic Materials Technology and Management from Brunel University. His early career was in the distribution industry and he studied for his MSc in Transport Management at Cranfield.
He then spent four years working at the University of Westminster, where he developed his interest in European logistics and logistical systems, before returning to Cranfield as an academic in 1988.
He was the recipient of the Plowman award in 2000 for the best educator's paper at the Council of Logistics Management conference and subsequently published in the Journal of Business Logistics.
Melvyn's research focuses on logistics outsourcing, international sourcing and freight transportation. He is a co-author of European Logistics: Markets, Management and Strategy.
He is also Director of Education at Cranfield School of Management and has overall responsibility for Cranfield's MBA and MSc degrees.
Melvyn is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, a Member of the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (US) and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Teaching and research have taken Melvyn across Europe and wider into Russia, The UAE, Oman and China.
Melvyn's recent consultancy has seen him working with Accenture (telematics), King Sturge (warehouse developments Central Europe) and Baker Rose (Shellhaven Logistics Park).
Articles In Journals
- Van Der Werf GR, Dempewolf J, Trigg SN, Randerson JT, Kasibhatla PS, Giglio L, Murdiyarso D, Peters W, Morton DC, Collatz GJ, Dolman AJ & DeFries RS (2008) Climate regulation of fire emissions and deforestation in equatorial Asia, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 105 (51) 20350-20355.
- Renshaw R & Peters M (2007) The cost effectiveness of a build-to-order strategy for the production of building construction equipment, Supply Chain Practice, 9 (2) 4-32.
- Payne T & Peters M (2004) What Really is the Right Supply Chain for your Product: A Product Characterization Approach, International Journal of Logistics Management, The, 15 (2) 77-92.
- Peters MJ, Edwards P & Sharman G (2001) The Effectiveness of Information Systems in Supporting the Extended Supply Chains, Journal of Business Logistics, 22 (1).
- Peters MJ, Van Laarhoven P & Berglund M (2000) Third-Party Logistics in Europe - Five Years Later, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 30 (5) 425-442.
- Peters M, Leib R, Randall H & Ford R (1998) The Use of Third-Party Logistics (TPL) Services by UK and European Industry, Transport Logistics, 1 (3) 167-179.
- Peters M, Randall H, Leib R & Cooper J (1998) The Third-Party Logistics Industry in Europe: Provider Perspectives on the Industry's Current Status and Future Prospects, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, 1 (1) 9-25.
- Peters MJ & Jockel O (1998) The Day of the Mega-Carrier, Logistics Europe.
- Peters MJ (1998) Road Rage Taxation, Management focus (10).
- Peters M, Leib R & Randall H (1997) L'externalisation des Services Logistiques dans le Secteur Industriel au Royaume-Uni et en Europe Continentale, Logistique and Management, 5 (2).
- Peters & M (2016) Transport Collaboration: A Case Evaluation of an Ambient/Chill Retail Inbound Network. In: The 21st CILT LRN Annual Conference and PhD Workshop 2016, Hull, 7 September 2016.
- Peters & M (2016) The 4th Industrial Revolution and its Impact on Transport Logistics - Conference Chairman. In: The 4th Industrial Revolution Conference 2016, Santander - Magdalena Penisula, 13 September 2016.
- Ball G, Bernon M & Peters M (2012) Supply chain carbon emissions of a midsize information, communication and technology business in a shared user logistics environment. In: LRN Conference 2012, Cranfield, 5 September 2012.
- Baker P & Peters M (2005) Enhancing supply chain responsiveness through warehouse design and operations: A Central European perspective. In: 12th international annual European Operations Management Association conference (EurOMA 2005): operations and global competitiveness, Budapest, 1 June 2005.
- Peters M (2003) EU Accession: Logistics Impacts. In: Baltic Logistics Conference, Tallin.
- Peters M (2002) Future trends in the 3PL and 4PL outsourcing market: a European perspective. In: Logicon Conference, Singapore.
- Peters M (2002) A Survey of Telematic Use by European Road Freight Operators. In: Distribution Forum - Transport and Logistics in the Digital Era Conference, Genoa.
- Peters M (1999) The Logistics Market in the UK and Europe: A Service Provider Perspective. In: Shaping the Pan-European Supply Chains of the Future, Brussels.
- Peters M (1998) Third Party Logistics and their Role in the Transport Market. In: International Conference on Transport Logistics, Brussels.
- Peters M (1998) Third party Logistics Update: Annual User and Provider Surveys with Special Emphasis on Globalisation Efforts. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Anaheim.
- Peters M & Black I (1997) Sustainable Supply Chain: What Does It Mean?. In: Economic Dilemmas of Transport and Ecology, Trans 97, Warsaw.
- Peters M, Randall H & Leib R (1997) Contract Logistics Update: Reports from Users and Providers. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Chicago.
- Alexander J, Peters M & Bence V (1996) The Use of Third Party Logistics (TPL) Services by UK and European Industry. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Orlando, 20 October 1996.
- Peters M (1996) Contract Logistics: Update Report from Users and Providers. In: Council for Logistics Management Annual Conference, Orlando, 20 October 1996.
- Peters M Improving Supply Chain Efficiencies with an Automation First Mindset. In: Intimate Round Table Event, Savoy Hotel, London, 29 April 2019.
- Peters M (2001) The use of third-party logistics services by European industry. In: Classics in Transport Analysis. Button K (ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Peters M, Lieb R & Randall H (2000) CEO Perspectives on the Current Status and Future Prospects of Third Party Logistics (TPL) Industry in Europe: A 1998 Survey. In: Third Party Logistics: A Manager's Guide. Lieb R (ed.), Huston: JKL Publications.
- Peters M, Lieb R & Randall H (2000) The Use of Third Party Logistics Services by Large Manufacturers in the United Kingdom and Continental Europe: A 1997 Survey. In: Third Party Logistics: A Manager's Guide. Lieb R (ed.), Huston: JKL Publications, p. 71-90.
- Peters M (2000) Europe's 3PL Industry Consolidates on the Road to Pan-European Services. In: Achieving Supply Chain Excellence Through Technology, San Francisco, CA: Montgomery Research Inc., p. 171-174.
- Peters M, Black I & Cooper J (1998) Creating the Sustainable Supply Chain: Modelling and Key Relationships. In: Transport Policy and the Environment. Banister D (ed.), London: Spon, p. 176-204.