Catarina is Associate Professor (Reader) in Applied Economics and Director of the Cranfield Centre for Economic Performance and Policy. Catarina was a former Director of the Executive MBA Programme.
Scientific and Technological Options Assessment Division at the European Parliament. Her research interests lie in the area of financial modelling, particularly related to international financial integration, banking efficiency and regulation and housing markets. Her PhD thesis investigated sectoral interactions and supply-side performance and focused on productivity spillovers and wage setting. Catarina has published in leading international journals and is a frequent contributor to a wide range of international conferences. She has advised the OECD and the European Commission on regulation and a number of financial institutions on the UK housing market. Catarina is editor of the International Journal of Statistics and Economicsand the Research Paper Series of Cranfield School of Management.
Articles In Journals
- Figueira C (2013) What has changed since the crisis?, Management Focus, Spring (34) 22-23.
- Theodorakopoulos N & Figueira C (2012) What can situated learning theory tell us about leading to develop organizational learning capabilities for entrepreneurial performance? Lessons from a knowledge-intensive small firm, Thunderbird International Business Review, 54 (6) 859-873.
- Figueira C, Andrikopoulos P & Tsang HY (2010) Assessing the effects of the Asian financial crisis on banking performance in Southeast Asia, International Journal of Financial Services Management, 4 (4) 338-360.
- Ramsden JJ, Figueira C & Nellis J (2010) Ranking banks, and classifying national banking systems according to their cybernetic efficiency, Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry, 10 (3) 111-119.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2009) Bank merger and acquisitions activity in the EU: much ado about nothing?, Service Industries Journal, 29 (7) 875-886.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) The effects of ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America, Applied Economics, 41 (18) 2353-2368.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2009) Banking performance and technological change in non-core EU countries: A study of Spain and Portugal, Studies in Economics and Finance, 26 (3) 155-170.
- Parker D, Kirkpatrick C & Figueira C (2008) Infrastructure regulation and poverty reduction in developing countries: A review of the evidence and a research agenda, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 48 (2) 177-188.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2007) Challenges Facing the Polish Banking Industry: A Comparative Study with UK Banks, Managing Global Transitions, 5 (1) 25-44.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Schoenberg R (2007) Travel abroad or stay at home?: Investigating the patterns of bank industry M and As in the EU, European Business Review, 19 (1) 23-39.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2006) Does ownership affect efficiency of African banks?, Journal of Developing Areas, 40 (1) 37-62.
- Figueira C, Glen J & Nellis J (2005) A Dynamic Analysis of Mortgage Arrears in the UK, Urban Studies, 42 (10) 1755-1769.
- Nellis J & Figueira-Theodorakopoulou C (2002) Is there a Future for UK Manufacturing?, Management focus (19) 19-21.
- Figueira C (2009) Developing Strategic Learning Capabilities for Open Innovation under Entrepreneurial Leadership: Lessons from a Technology-based Small Firm. In: 5th European Conference on Management, Leadership and Governance, Athens.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2007) Banking Efficiency in Non-Core EU Countries - A Comparative Analysis of Portugal and Spain. In: Conference proceedings 2007 : British Academy of Management : management research, education and business success : is the future as clear as the past?, Warwick.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2006) M and A activity in the EU Banking Industry - Much ado about nothing?. In: Business & Economics Society International Conference, Florence, Italy.
- Figueira & C (2005) Infrastructure Regulation and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countires: A Review of the Evidence and a Research Agenda. In: Regulation, Competition and Income Distribution Conference: Latin American Experiences, Rio de Janeiro.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) The effects of private versus state and foreign versus domestic ownership on bank efficiency in Latin America. In: British Academy of Management Conference, St Andrews.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Bank efficiency in Latin America. In: ESRC Conference on Finance for Development & Poverty Reduction, Bath.
- Figueira C, Nellis J & Parker D (2004) Are international financial markets integrating. In: Academy of International Business annual meeting, Sweden.
- Figueira & C (2004) Testing for International Financial Markets Integration. In: EURAM 2004 4th Annual Conference, St Andrews.
- Figueira C (2004) How efficient is the Polish Banking Industry?. In: UK Academy of International Business, Londonderry.
- Figueira C (2003) Wage setting in the United Kingdom. In: Regional Science Association International Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) Assessing the performance of the Polish banking industry: a comparative study. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Harrogate.
- Phelps B, Figueira C & Nellis J (2003) International Banking Strategy and Efficiency: issues and directions.. In: 7th International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute, Shanghai.
- Figueira C (2003) A dynamic analysis of mortgage arrears in the UK housing market. In: Cranfield Research Colloquium, Cranfield University.
- Figueira C & Nellis J (2002) Testing for international financial integration. In: International Economics and Finance Society Conference 2002, London.
- Figueira & C (2002) Where have all the mortgage arrears gone?. In: International Regional Science Association Conference, San Juan.
- Figueira & C (2001) Are direct payments preferable to price support?. In: Cranfield Research Seminar Series, Cranfield University.
- Theodorakopoulos N, Figueira C, Kakabadse N & Kakabadse A (2011) Dynamic Learning as Entrepreneurial Action in the Context of Open Innovation: An Instrumental Case from a Communities-of-Practice Perspective. In: SMEs and Open Innovation: Global Cases and Initiatives. Rahman H, Ramos I (ed.), Hershey, USA: IGI Global, p. 199-223.
- Figueira C & Parker D (2011) Infrastructure Liberalization: Challenges to the new Economic Paradigm in the Context of Developing Countries. In: International Handbook of Network Industries. Finger M, Kuenneke, R W (ed.), Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, p. 491-512.
- Parker D & Figueira C (2010) PPPs in developed and developing economies: what lessons can be learned?. In: International Handbook on Public-Private Partnerships. Hodge G, Greve C, Boardman A E (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, p. 526-547.
- Nellis J, Figueira C & Glen J (2005) An econometric model of mortgage arrears - implications for credit risk. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.
- Nellis J & Figueira C (2005) The importance of accurate house price measurement in the context of mortgage risk modelling. In: Credit Risk of Mortgage Loans. Modelling and Management. Jajuga K, Krysiak Z (ed.), Warsaw: Polish Bank Association.