Contact Dr Nicolau Iralal Morar
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758210
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aerospace Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
I am currently a Research Fellow at Cranfield University for materials testing, modelling and process development which spans all high temperature applications of nickel alloys and through-life degradation assessment of aerospace mechanical components.
I have graduated as MEng in Aerospace Engineering at Kingston University London around 8 years ago. While undergraduate, spent two years at GE Aviation as intern in the aeroengine repair and overhaul engineering team working on root cause analysis (RCA) and new product introduction (NPI). After graduation I have move to Cranfield University as a researcher in the Manufacturing group conducting research on nickel alloys and laser processing. For the past seven years I have been actively involved with Rolls-Royce in a number of research projects including my PhD on laser processing of single-crystal nickel CMSX-4 superalloy. In general, my interest’s spans on the fundamental research approach to solve scientific an industrial problems.
My current research interests focus on four topics: Surface integrity and performance of advanced manufacturing technologies; Corrosion in metals (corrosion-fatigue, stress corrosion cracking and hot corrosion); Surface coatings (bond coats and self-healing coatings) and Finite element modelling (residual stress, crack growth threshold).
Rolls-Royce Plc., MTU Aero-Engines, ITP Aero, Safran
Articles In Journals
- Morar N, Roy R, Gray S, Nicholls J & Mehnen J (2018) Modelling the influence of laser drilled recast layer thickness on the fatigue performance of CMSX-4, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 67-74.
- Iralal Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Marithumu S, Gray S, Roberts T & Nicholls J (2018) Investigation of recast and crack formation in laser trepanning drilling of CMSX-4 angled holes, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Early online (9-12).
- Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Nicholls J & Gray S (2017) The effect of trepanning speed of laser drilled acute angled cooling holes on the high temperature low cycle corrosion fatigue performance of CMSX-4 at 850 °C, International Journal of Fatigue, 102 (September) 112-120. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4978220
- Tapoglou N, Mehnen J, Butans J & Morar NI (2016) Online on-board optimization of cutting parameter for energy efficient CNC milling, Procedia CIRP, 40 384-389.
- Morar N, Roy R, Mehnen J, Redding L & Harrison A (2013) Data mining and knowledge reuse for the initial systems design and manufacturing: Aero-engine service risk drivers, Procedia CIRP, 11 130-134.
- Roy R, Mehen J, Tinsley L, Morar N, Redding L & Okoh C (2013) Characterisation of 'In-service' Feedback for System Design and Manufacture. In: 2nd Annual EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference, 2013, Cranfield, 17-18 September 2013.