Contact Dr Manoranjan Muthusamy
Areas of expertise
- Applied Informatics
- Water Science and Engineering
With more than 7 years of experience in the field of hydrology, Mano’s special interests are centered around hydrologic modelling and statistical hydrology. Majority of his work involves the use of advanced statistical analysis to better understand the hydrological processes. This includes extreme flow analyses of river flow data, geo-statistical analysis of rainfall data, statistical evaluation of flood forecasts and uncertainty analyses of hydrological models (e.g. using Bayesian inference).
Mano has an MSc in Flood Risk Management with a dissertation focusing on improving real-time flood forecasting using an error prediction model which was based on his work at DHI, Denmark. In his PhD which he carried out at The University of Sheffield, he investigated the small-scale spatiotemporal variability of rainfall and its effect on urban sediment transport. His PhD was part of Marie Curie ITN – Quantifying Uncertainty in Integrated Catchment Studies (QUICS). Mano also worked as a research engineer at LHI, Sri Lanka for four years where he was involved in a number of successfully completed international projects on water resources.
Mano is currently a research fellow working on Emergency Flood Planning and Management using Unmanned Aerial Systems- an EPSRC funded project.
Articles In Journals
- Salmoral G, Rivas Casado M, Muthusamy M, Butler D, Menon PP & Leinster P (2020) Guidelines for the use of unmanned aerial systems in flood emergency response, Water (Switzerland), 12 (2) Article No. 521.
- Muthusamy M, Rivas Casado M, Salmoral G, Irvine T & Leinster P (2019) A remote sensing based integrated approach to quantify the impact of fluvial and pluvial flooding in an urban catchment, Remote Sensing, 11 (5) Article No. 577.
- Tscheikner-Gratl F, Bellos V, Schellart A, Moreno-Rodenas A, Muthusamy M, Langeveld J, Clemens F, Benedetti L, Rico-Ramirez MA, de Carvalho RF, Breuer L, Shucksmith J, Heuvelink GBM & Tait S (2019) Recent insights on uncertainties present in integrated catchment water quality modelling, Water Research, 150 (March) 368-379.
- Muthusamy M, Wani O, Schellart A & Tait S (2018) Accounting for variation in rainfall intensity and surface slope in wash-off model calibration and prediction within the Bayesian framework, Water Research, 143 (October) 561-569.
- Muthusamy M, Tait S, Schellart A, Beg M, Carvalho R & de Lima J (2018) Improving understanding of the underlying physical process of sediment wash-off from urban road surfaces, Journal of Hydrology, 557 426-433.
- Muthusamy M, Schellart A, Tait S & Heuvelink G (2017) Geostatistical upscaling of rain gauge data to support uncertainty analysis of lumped urban hydrological models, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 21 (2) 1077-1091.
- Muthusamy M, Godiksen P & Madsen H (2016) Comparison of different configurations of quantile regression in estimating predictive hydrological uncertainty, Procedia Engineering, 154 513-520.