Areas of expertise
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Energy and the Environment
I have worked about 12 years as lead process engineer in oil companies and I was the lead in a team of 12 junior/senior process engineers in 3 mega oil refinery projects (EPC cost more than 1 billion dollars). After years of occupation at industry, I had a feeling that I love research and also passion to engage academic conversations and challenges. Therefore I decide to study PhD and my thesis was combined hydrogen purification and carbon capture by cyclic adsorption methods in Steam Methane Reforming unit of refineries. My industrial background inspired me to build a PSA rig for hydrogen purification and then developed that rig to a VSA rig and used it for carbon capture. After PhD graduation, I got research fellow position at Cranfield University for a biogas upgrading project and we plan to upgrade the biogas to biomethane and for this project up to now we have built 3 rigs including static rig, dynamic rig and PSA rig. The Aspen Adsorption software will be used for validating experimental results. We want to use novel polymeric adsorbents for CO2 capture from biogas.
Novel adsorbents development
Cyclic adsorption processes
Research Fellow at Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK
Leading project on Biogas Upgrading, including:
· Design, procurement, construction and commissioning of 3 rigs for this project which first one was static rig for measuring isotherms and second rig was a dynamic rig for measuring the kinetic rate and final rig was a Pressure Swing Adsorption rig (PSA rig) which was used for biogas upgrading.
· Characterization of new polymeric CO2 adsorbents for decarbonisation of biogas by SEM, BET, XRD, FTIR, TGA.
· finding isotherm model for matching the isotherm data obtained by static isotherm rig
· finding mass transfer coefficients based on experimental data obtained with dynamic rig
· validating experimental results from PSA rig with the aid of Aspen Adsorption software
· Development of novel biogas upgrading processes.
Contribution to M-level and D-level teaching and supervision:
· Supervision of MSc students, group projects, contributing to supervision of PhD students.
· Acting representative on behalf of PI for project meetings with monitoring boards.
· Preparation of three articles which the first one is a review paper about biogas upgrading technologies and second one is investigating the impurities effect on hydrogen purification by a VSA method and the last one is about characterization of new polymeric CO2 adsorbents for decarbonisation of biogas by SEM, BET, XRD, FTIR, TGA
· Obtained Recognised Teacher Status.
Articles In Journals
- Wadi B, Golmakani A, Manovic V & Nabavi SA (2021) Effect of combined primary and secondary amine loadings on the adsorption mechanism of CO2 and CH4 in biogas, Chemical Engineering Journal, 420, Pt 3, Article No. 130294.
- Gao Y, Golmakani A, Nabavi SA, Jiang J & Manovic V (2021) Simulative optimization of catalyst configuration for biogas dry reforming, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Available online 10 February 2021 (24).
- Golmakani A, Nabavi SA & Manović V (2020) Effect of impurities on ultra-pure hydrogen production by pressure vacuum swing adsorption, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 82 (February) 278-289. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jiec.2019.10.024
- Golmakani A, Nabavi SA & Manović V (2020) Production of negative-emission biomethane by twin double-bed pressure swing adsorption with tail gas sequestration, Chemical Engineering Journal, Available online 13 October 2020, Article No. 127312.
- Ghavibazoo M, Golmakani A, Hosseinipoor S & Rokhforouz M (2018) Simulation and control of membrane reactors for catalytic reduction of dissolved oxygen from water, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 96 (4) 912-925.
- Golmakani A, Fatemi S & Tamnanloo J (2017) Investigating PSA, VSA, and TSA methods in SMR unit of refineries for hydrogen production with fuel cell specification, Separation and Purification Technology, 176 73-91.
- Golmakani A, Fatemi S & Tamnanloo J (2016) CO2 capture from the tail gas of hydrogen purification unit by vacuum swing adsorption process, using SAPO-34, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 55 (1) 334-350.
- Tamnanloo J, Fatemi S & Golmakani A (2014) Binary equilibrium adsorption data and comparison of zeolites with activated carbon for selective adsorption of CO2 from CH4, Adsorption Science and Technology, 32 (9) 707-716.
- Memari M, Golmakani A & Dehkordi A (2011) Mixed-convection flow of nanofluids and regular fluids in vertical porous media with viscous heating, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 50 (15) 9403-9414.