Contact Cristobal Ruiz Carcel
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5566
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BackgroundCristobal received his degree in mechanical engineering in 2010 from Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (Spain), followed by an MSc Eng. degree in Design of Rotating Machines from Cranfield University in 2011. His MSc thesis "Design of a gearbox test-rig and a novel approach to machine monitoring" was awarded the Gear Transmission Price for the 2010/2011 academic year by the British Gear Association. He recently completed his PhD in the field of condition monitoring applied to large scale industrial systems at Cranfield University, which was part of the Marie Curie FP7 project “Energy-Smartops”.
Current activitiesCristobal's main research interests have been focused on signal processing algorithms, multivariate data analysis, condition monitoring and predictive maintenance. He is currently a Research Fellow at the Through-life Engineering Sevices Centre on the “Degradation of linear machines” research project, where he is working on the development, testing, and implementation of monitoring algorithms for electromechanical linear actuators.
Articles In Journals
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Bertoncelj L, Katsouros V, Fournaris A, Koulamas C & Ruiz-Carcel C (2019) Enabling the human in the loop: linked data and knowledge in industrial cyber-physical systems, Annual Reviews in Control, 47 (30/06/2019) 249-265.
- Ruiz-Carcel C, Starr A & Nsugbe E (2018) Estimation of powder mass flow rate in a screw feeder using acoustic emissions, Powder Technology, 336 (August) 122-130.
- Emmanouilidis C, Bertoncelj L, Bevilacqua M, Tedeschi S & Ruiz-Carcel C (2018) Internet of Things - Enabled visual analytics for linked maintenance and product lifecycle management, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51 (11) 435-440.
- Nsugbe E, Ruiz-Carcel C, Starr A & Jennions I (2018) Estimation of fine and oversize particle ratio in a heterogeneous compound with acoustic emissions, Sensors, 18 (3) Article No. 851.
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Star A (2018) Data-based detection and diagnosis of faults in linear actuators, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67 (9) 2035-2047.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz Carcel C (2017) Particle size distribution estimation of a mixture of regular and irregular sized particles using acoustic emissions, Procedia Manufacturing, 11 2252-2259.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz-Carcel C (2017) Online particle size distribution estimation of a mixture of similar sized particles with acoustic emissions, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 885 (Conference 1) Article No. 012009 - .
- Nsugbe E, Starr A & Ruiz Carcel C (2016) Monitoring the particle size distribution of a powder mixing process with acoustic emissions: a review, Engineering & Technology (E&T) Reference, 2016 1-12.
- Elasha F, Mba D & Ruiz-Carcel C (2016) A comparative study of adaptive filters in detecting a naturally degraded bearing within a gearbox, Case Studies in Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 3 1-8.
- Ruiz Cárcel C, Lao L, Cao Y & Mba D (2016) Canonical variate analysis for performance degradation under faulty conditions, Control Engineering Practice, 54 (September) 70-80.
- Ruiz-Cárcel C, Cao Y, Mba D, Lao L & Samuel R (2015) Statistical process monitoring of a multiphase flow facility, Control Engineering Practice, 42 (September) 74-88.
- Elasha F, Ruiz-Carcel C, Mba D, Jaramillo VH & Ottewill JR (2014) Detection of machine soft foot with vibration analysis, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 56 (11) 622-626.
- Elasha F, Ruiz-Cárcel C, Mba D, Kiat G, Nze I & Yebra G (2014) Pitting detection in worm gearboxes with vibration analysis, Engineering Failure Analysis, 42 366-376.
- Ruiz-Cárcel C, Hernani-Ros E, Cao Y & Mba D (2014) Use of spectral kurtosis for improving signal to noise ratio of acoustic emission signal from defective bearings, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, 14 (3) 363-371.
- Elasha F, Ruiz-Carcel C, Mba D & Chandra P (2014) A Comparative Study of the Effectiveness of Adaptive Filter Algorithms, Spectral Kurtosis and Linear Prediction in Detection of a Naturally Degraded Bearing in a Gearbox, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, 14 (5) 623-636.
- Ruiz-Carcel C, Hernani-Ros E, Chandra P, Cao Y, Corsar M & Mba D Application of linear prediction, self-adaptive noise cancellation and spectral kurtosis in identifying natural damage of a rolling element bearing in a gearbox, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, 20 (1) 15-23.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Foote P, Ruiz-Carcel C & Jennions I (2016) Size differentiation of a continuous stream of particles using acoustic emissions. In: 20th Innovative Manufacturing Engineering and Energy Conference (IManEE 2016), Kozani, Greece, 23-25 September 2016.
- Elasha F, Mba D & Ruiz-Carcel C (2015) Pitting detection in worm gearboxes with vibration analysis. In: 10th international conference on vibration engineering and technology of machinery (VETOMAC X 2014), Manchester, 9-11 September 2014.
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Starr A (2015) Development of a novel condition monitoring tool for linear actuators. In: 12th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, Oxford, 9-11 June 2015.
- Carcel CR, Cao Y & Mba D (2014) A benchmark of canonical variate analysis for fault detection and diagnosis. In: UKACC International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2014), Loughborough, 9-11 July 2014.
- Elasha F, Ruiz-Carcel C & Mba D (2014) Bearing natural degradation detection in a gearbox: A comparative study of the effectiveness of adaptive filter algorithms and spectral kurtosis. In: ASME 2014 12th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis (ESDA 2014), Copenhagen, 25-27 July 2014.
- Elasha F, Ruiz-Cárcel C & Mba D Effectiveness of adaptive filter algorithms and spectral kurtosis in detection of a naturally degraded bearing in a gearbox.. In: 8th World Congress on Engineering Asset Management (WCEAM 2013), Hong Kong, 30 October 2013.
- Elasha F, Mba D & Ruiz-Carcel C (2015) Effectiveness of adaptive filter algorithms and spectral kurtosis in bearing faults detection in a gearbox. In: Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery, Cham: Springer, p. 219-229.