This course will focus on design methodology in producing optical thin film coatings, nanostructured coatings for fibre sensors and spectroscopic techniques for optical assessments. It aims to broaden knowledge on optical functionality, material integration and methods to optimise the optical component performance for industrial applications.
Read more Read less
Both theoretical and practical sessions are covered offering delegates a greater appreciation of production of the optical coatings, the problems encountered in design and optimisation, and volume manufacturing. Encompassing a diverse range of material design, new technology and a wide range of applications such as self-cleaning, optical instrument, fibre chemical sensors, displays and energy technology.
At a glance
- 25 - 27 Jun 2018
- Duration3 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£870. Concessions available
Course structureThis three days course encompasses a combination of lectures, use of design tools, and practical sessions on spectroscopy. Over five hours of hands-on spectroscopic training and analytical demonstrations. Finally, a group exercise is allocated to reflect the understanding of the delegates, exchange of ideas on the topic of interest.
What you will learn
- To meet the growing need for skills and knowledge base on niche areas of optical coatings
- Extend knowledge in optical coating design, coatings for fibre sensors and optical spectroscopy
- Technical awareness of advanced optical coating technologies and the advantages they offer
- Understanding of how optical coatings are designed into products, and spectroscopic assessments and performance analysis
- Opportunity for networking with experts from different coatings sectors.
- Thin film optical filter design
- Multilayer functional coatings
- Optical spectroscopy
- Coatings for optical fibre sensors
- Self-cleaning and energy coatings.
- Advanced materials for optical coatings
- Optical design: Interference filters
- Design: Multilayer coatings
- Analytical techniques: Thin film characterisation.
- The role of coatings in optical fibre technology
- Nanostructured coatings: Optical fibre chemical sensors
- Spectroscopic ellipsometer
- Optical spectroscopy
- Practical: Spectral characterisation
- Tour of the lab facilities.
- Functional coatings: Self-cleaning and self-healing
- Optical coatings applications: Energy technology
- Group project assignments (to reflect the understanding of the delegates on the topics)
- Group discussion and preparation
- Group project presentation and feedback session.
Who should attend
- Scientists, technologists and postgraduate researchers
- Individuals involved in optical research and development seeking to broaden their expertise in optical coatings
- Newcomers, engineers and managers who use, or are not familiar with the topic however, foresee a future for optical coatings technology in their industry.
Dr Debabrata Bhattacharyya - Research Fellow Microsystems Materials
- Professor Jose Endrino - Head of Surface Engineering and Nanotechnology Institute (SENTi)
- Professor Stephen James - Professor of Applied Optics
Dr J Rao - Senior Research Fellow Manufacturing
20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni
£825 - Professional/trade association discount
£795 Multiple bookings*
*Minimum of three delegates
Accommodation options and prices
This course is non-residential. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information about our on campus accommodation can be found here. Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.