This course will introduce the concepts of through life system sustainment by defining how to manage assets and value, key terminologies, relating issues across multiple sectors and by highlighting the business drivers for the system sustainment and the future requirements. Read more Read less
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
Course structureThis five day course is presented through a mixture of lectures, tutorials and discussion of case studies.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this study the student should be able to:
- Identify the key through-life value drivers for a complex engineering system.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the range of operational methods available for supporting equipment in service through life, and their relative advantages
- Demonstrate the basic understanding of system sustainment in the context of various sectors, and the business, operations and engineering challenges involved
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic tools and methods for analysing and modelling the effectiveness of the system sustainment service or operation.
- Identify the implications of various methods for implementation of a “system sustainment” service to maintain “value in use” from equipment
- Analyse challenges in through-life management and leadership.
- Through-life value delivery and system thinking for a complex engineering system
- Principles of managing system performance through life / holistic life cycle: maintenance, technology support, technology insertion, logistics, data and service network design and systems thinking
- Introduction to the relationship between system performance and service capability (“through life capability management”): ensuring value in use through client focus and building relationships; and policy and strategy for through-life management
- Assessment of cost and effectiveness for reliability and maintainability , introduction to investment appraisal for system sustainment and performance assessment methodologies to design the support solution, contracting models for the servitisation, leadership skills requirement for through-life management.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationCranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for through-life engineering specialists, asset management and maintenance professionals. We aim to enhance your skills, and address the need for highly trained individuals involved in the support of complex equipment and systems.
Focused on educating leaders in the fields of maintenance systems, design and planning, maintenance assessment and operations management, engineering and technology including condition-based maintenance and health management, standards and regulation, information technology, contracts and policy, life extension and obsolescence management, cost modelling and control.
Stuart Leinster-Evans (BAE Systems)
Mark Jolly (Bombardier)
Eric Holmes (Bombardier)
Dr. Glenn Parry (UWE)
Stephen Ball (Rolls-Royce)
Andy Harrison (Rolls-Royce)
Peter Jay (The Woodhouse Partnerships Ltd)
Accommodation options and prices
This course is non-residential. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information about our on campus accommodation can be found here. Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Location addressCranfield University
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.