Engineers increasingly need to adopt risk-oriented approaches for plant design and/or the definition of maintenance programs. Read more Read less
Risk, Reliability Engineering and Maintenance introduces the basic principles and fundamental techniques used in risk-informed, asset management decision making, and helps you develop directly applicable skills through practical engagement of the most widely applied methods.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationThree days
Course structureThe total length of the course is 3 days, combining a variety of teaching approaches which include theoretical lectures, practical sessions, as well as individual study; practical sessions are carried out for one third of the course time. Solving the case study will enable practice of the most relevant methods and techniques as well as their interaction in a realistic problem. This short course is a joint effort of Cranfield University and the leading Danish Engineering and Consultancy Company Ramboll; ensuring delivery of the most up-to-date theory in line with practical real-life case studies and examples.
What you will learn
- Demonstrate a systematic knowledge of the fundamentals of asset management, risk management and reliability engineering, as well as a critical awareness of their application on relevant engineering problems;
- Develop a clear picture of the influence of component and systems reliability on asset performance during the full asset lifecycle (with an emphasis on the planning and operating phase);
- Use basic terminologies in the field of maintenance adequately and to link them with more elaborated methodologies in the field of risk and reliability centred maintenance in order to be able to practically use them;
- Evaluate and select appropriate techniques for risk analysis, failure pattern analysis, failure consequence assessment and methods for control/mitigation through decision support systems such as applicable software and tools;
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the successful application of Reliability Block Diagrams (RBD), Fault / Event Tree Analysis (FTA / ETA), Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOP), Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) and Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM).
- Introduction and Fundamentals of Risk and Reliability Engineering
- Risk Management Process (ISO31000)
- Maintenance Types and Terminologies
- Introduction to Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Standards
- Reliability and Availability
- Active and Passive Maintenance Time
- Basics of Asset Management
- Component Failure Theory
- Functional Component Analysis
- Failure Effect Analysis
- Qualitative Reliability Analysis by Fault / Event Tree Analysis (FTA / ETA)
- Systems Modelling using Reliability Block Diagrams (RBD)
- Basic mathematics for risk analysis: basic and combined probabilities
- Quantitative Reliability Analysis (QRA) and Monte Carlo Simulations
- Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOP)
- Practical case study descriptions and solutions
Click here to download timetable
Who should attendThis training is suitable for mechanical, process, electrical or civil engineers who want to obtain knowledge on applied aspects of risk and reliability engineering and maintenance.
Dr Athanasios Kolios
Dr Athanasios Kolios is a Senior Lecturer in Risk Management and Reliability Engineering and Director of the Energy Doctoral Training Programme at Cranfield University. His research expertise includes the reliability analysis using non-intrusive stochastic expansions, risk-based design, analysis and operational management of offshore/marine structures, and integrity assessment of ageing assets. He has performed extensive research on multidisciplinary and condition-based risk assessment of complex engineering systems. Dr Kolios has significant experience in delivery of industry sponsored and research council funded projects as well as specialised training on risk and reliability engineering. He has chaired several session in international conferences and has authored more than 80 peer-reviewed publications. Dr Kolios is a Chartered Engineering of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (CEng MIMechE) and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Matti Niclas Scheu
Mr Matti Scheu is a Senior Engineer and certified expert in asset management at Ramboll Energy. His competences cover multiple topics in the area of asset management, with a focus on the implementation of Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) approaches in different project phases. Matti has a strong track record in leading Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) workshops in several multinational projects within the industrial and the energy sector. He is furthermore involved within strategic asset management planning in line with a substantial involvement in academia, where he is currently conducting a project to achieve an Engineering Doctorate Degree from Cranfield University. Matti is instructor in the Ramboll Maintenance Academy for the courses ‘Basic Maintenance’ and ‘Risk and Reliability Engineering and Maintenance’.
Accommodation options and pricesThis course is non-residential. If accommodation is required, please make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travelCranfield's partner Ramboll in the Middle East specialises in structural engineering, building services, fire and risk assessment, acoustics, facade engineering, sustainability and environmental services, transport infrastructure and transport, master-planning and oil & gas services. We have four offices located in Abu Dhabi; Doha, Qatar; Dubai; and Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
With nearly 550 international experts in the Middle East, Ramboll is regarded as one of the key players in the region. With a thorough understanding of regulatory frameworks both locally and globally we are able to provide clients with complete, integrated and multi-disciplinary solutions.
Abu Dhabi University Building ( 6th Floor)
Al Nahyan Camp Area
Sultan Bin Zayed The First Street (Al Muroor Road)
P.O. Box 126554
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.