This short course will provide you with a detailed knowledge of all aspects of design and installation of offshore pipelines.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,700. The course fee includes lunch and refreshments during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of this short course you will:
- Understand the basic procedures in offshore pipeline design and installation
- Be able to select appropriate components for an installation
- Have a knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of different pipelaying techniques
- Understand the problems caused by fluids carried within pipelines.
- Overview of components – pipelines, risers, valves, pig launchers/receivers and flow metering equipment
- Introduction to design procedures – physical properties, stress analysis, buckling and collapse, strain-based design
- Fluid flow through pipes – basic hydrodynamics, multiphase flow, hydrate formation/prevention, wax formation/prevention
- Pipelines steels – effect of processing: normalised quenched and tempered, thermo-mechanically treated and accelerated cooled steels. Seamless, HFERW and UOE manufacturing processes, corrosion resistant steels
- Design for installation – S-lay, J-lay, deepwater, calculation of tensions, reeling
- Thermal coatings – requirements, selection and application of coating, field joint coating systems
- Pipelay methods – laybarge configurations, anchor handling/DP, reel barge, pipeline bundles, ‘pipe in pipe’, factors affecting productivity.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Cranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about short course credit points.
Concessions10% discount applies if booked 8 weeks in advance. 10% discount for 3rd and subsequent delegates from the same company/site. Discounts can be combined.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.