Contact Dr Simon Jude
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Environmental Policy
- Managing Corporate Sustainability
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Natural Capital
- Water Science and Engineering
The complex interactions between the environment, infrastructure, and society, and the decision-making challenges and opportunities that they pose, form the basis for Simon's research. Many of these issues represent ‘wicked problems’, requiring new approaches to decision-making. To address this, his research seeks to develop and evaluate new techniques, tools, and technologies to support improved decision-making. This involves working with researchers from a wide range of disciplines, including environmental science, economics, engineering, computing and mathematics, and includes the use of mixed quantiative/qualitative methods and post-normal science approaches.
Dr Simon Jude joined Cranfield University in May 2010 as a Research Fellow. Prior to joining Cranfield Simon was a postdoctoral researcher working in the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research’s Coastal Research Programme, at the University of East Anglia. He also spent a period in in the offshore renewable energy industry where he held a research and development role developing spatial analysis tools to evaluate and mitigate the risks associated with offshore wind energy and subsea interconnector projects. He completed his MSc and PhD at the School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia.
Simon's research is highly stakeholder led and transdisciplinary, and broadly focuses on a number of areas:
Climate risk, adaptation and resilience – Understanding and overcoming risk, adaptation and resilience challenges, including those facing organisations, critical infrastructure operators and communities.
Developing urban observatories and living laboratories – Harnessing sensor technologies and analytics to better understand complex urban environments and aid decision-making.
Marine environmental risks – Understanding and managing the complex risks and trade-offs associated with climate change, marine renewable energy developments and marine spatial planning.
Simon leads the Decision Science Group, within the Centre for Environmental and Agricultural Informatics. He is also the Cranfield Centre Manager for the Data, Risk and Environmental Analytical Methods (DREAM) Centre for Doctoral Training, which has received funding from NERC and the ESRC, and leads the UKCRIC/EPSRC funded Cranfield University Urban Observatory.
- Marine Management Organisation
- Natural England
- Infrastructure utilities
- Water Research Foundation
- UK Water Industry Research (UKWIR)
- Connected Places Catapult
- European Union
Articles In Journals
- Barton NA, Hallett SH, Jude SR & Tran TH (2022) Predicting the risk of pipe failure using gradient boosted decision trees and weighted risk analysis, npj Clean Water, 5 Article No. 22.
- Barton NA, Hallett SH, Jude SR & Tran TH (2022) An evolution of statistical pipe failure models for drinking water networks: a targeted review, Water Supply, 22 (4) 3784-3813.
- Mead MI, Bevilacqua M, Loiseaux C, Hallett SH, Jude S, Emmanouilidis C, Harris J, Leinster P, Mutnuri S, Tran TH & Williams L (2022) Generalised network architectures for environmental sensing: case studies for a digitally enabled environment, Array, 14 (July) Article No. 100168.
- Barton NA, Hallett SH & Jude SR (2022) The challenges of predicting pipe failures in clean water networks: a view from current practice, Water Supply, 22 (1) 527-541.
- Luís A, Garnett K, Pollard SJ, Lickorish F, Jude S & Leinster P (2021) Fusing strategic risk and futures methods to inform long-term strategic planning: case of water utilities, Environment Systems and Decisions, 41 (4) 523-540.
- Abhinav KA, Collu M, Benjamins S, Cai H, Hughes A, Jiang B, Jude S, Leithead W, Lin C, Liu H, Recalde-Camacho L, Serpetti N, Sun K, Wilson B, Yuee H & Zhou B-Z (2020) Offshore multi-purpose platforms for a Blue Growth: a technological, environmental and socio-economic review, Science of the Total Environment, 734 (September) Article No. 138256.
- Giffoni E, Jude S, Smith H & Pollard SJT (2020) Real-life enterprise resilience, Advances in Water Research, 30 (3).
- Harris JA, Denyer D, Harwood S, Braithwaite G, Jude S & Jeffrey P (2020) Time to invest in global resilience [Correspondence], Nature, 583 (7814) 30-30.
- Grafius DR, Varga L & Jude S (2020) Infrastructure interdependencies: opportunities from complexity, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 26 (4) Article No. 04020036.
- Street RB & Jude S (2019) Enhancing the value of adaptation reporting as a driver for action: lessons from the UK, Climate Policy, 19 (10) 1340-1350.
- Tang K, Parsons DJ & Jude S (2019) Comparison of automatic and guided learning for Bayesian networks to analyse pipe failures of the water distribution system, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 186 (June) 24-36.
- Willsteed EA, Jude S, Gill AB & Birchenough SNR (2018) Obligations and aspirations: a critical evaluation of offshore wind farm cumulative impact assessments, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 82 (3) 2332-2345.
- Pollard JA, Spencer T & Jude S (2018) Big Data Approaches for coastal flood risk assessment and emergency response, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 9 (5) Article No. e543.
- Willsteed EA, Birchenough SNR, Gill AG & Jude S (2018) Structuring cumulative effects assessments to support regional and local marine management and planning obligations, Marine Policy, 98 (December) 23-32.
- Chalker RTC, Pollard SJT, Leinster P & Jude S (2018) Appraising longitudinal trends in the strategic risks cited by risk managers in the international water utility sector, 2005-2015, Science of the Total Environment, 618 1486-1496.
- Farewell TS, Jude S & Pritchard O (2018) The influence of soil on the impacts of burst water mains on infrastructure and society: a mixed methods investigation, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 18 2951-2968.
- Azhoni A, Jude S & Holman I (2018) Adapting to climate change by water management organisations: enablers and barriers, Journal of Hydrology, 559 (April) 736-748.
- Farewell TS, Jude S & Pritchard O (2018) How the impacts of burst water mains are influenced by soil sand content, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 18 (11) 2951-2968.
- Jude SR, Drew GH, Pollard SJT, Rocks SA, Jenkinson K & Lamb R (2017) Delivering organisational adaptation through legislative mechanisms: Evidence from the Adaptation Reporting Power (Climate Change Act 2008), Science of the Total Environment, 574 (January) 858-871.
- Azhoni A, Holman I & Jude S (2017) Adapting water management to climate change: institutional involvement, inter-institutional networks and barriers in India, Global Environmental Change, 44 (May) 144-157.
- Azhoni A, Holman I & Jude S (2017) Contextual and interdependent causes of climate change adaptation barriers: Insights from water management institutions in Himachal Pradesh, India, Science of the Total Environment, 576 (January) 817-828.
- Willsteed E, Gill AB, Birchenough SN & Jude S (2017) Assessing the cumulative environmental effects of marine renewable energy developments: establishing common ground, Science of the Total Environment, 577 (January) 19-32.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Longhurst P, Jude S & Tyrrel S (2017) A conceptual framework for negotiating public involvement in municipal waste management decision-making in the UK, Waste Management, 66 (August) 210-221.
- Ponce Romero JM, Hallett SH & Jude S (2017) Leveraging big data tools and technologies: addressing the challenges of the water quality sector, Sustainability, 9 (12) Article No. 2160.
- Wright G, O'Hagan AM, de Groot J, Leroy Y, Soininen N, Salcido R, Castelos MA, Jude S, Rochette J & Kerr S (2016) Establishing a legal research agenda for ocean energy, Marine Policy, 63 (January) 126-134.
- Kerr S, Watts L, Colton J, Conway F, Hull A, Johnson K, Jude S, Kannen A, MacDougall S, McLachlan C, Potts T & Vergunst J (2014) Establishing an agenda for social studies research in marine renewable energy, Energy Policy, 67 (April) 694-702.
- Davies GJ, Kendall G, Soane E, Li J, Rocks SA, Jude SR & Pollard SJ (2014) Regulators as agents: modelling personality and power as evidence is brokered to support decisions on environmental risk, Science of the Total Environment, 466-467 74-83.
- Muro M, Hrudey S, Jude S, Heath L & Pollard S (2012) Making it real: what risk managers should know about community engagement, Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 14 (2) Article No. 1250010.
- Mokrech M, Hanson S, Nicholls RJ, Wolf J, Walkden M, Fontaine CM, Nicholson-Cole S, Jude SR, Leake J, Stansby P, Watkinson AR, Rounsevell MDA, Lowe JA & Hall JW (2011) The Tyndall coastal simulator, Journal of Coastal Conservation, 15 (3) 325-335.
- Bateman IJ, Day BH, Jones AP & Jude S (2009) Reducing gain-loss asymmetry: A virtual reality choice experiment valuing land use change, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 58 (1) 106-118.
- Jude S (2008) Investigating the potential role of visualization techniques in participatory coastal management, Coastal Management, 36 (4) 331-349.
- Jude SR, Jones AP, Watkinson AR, Brown I & Gill JA (2007) The development of a visualization methodology for integrated coastal management, Coastal Management, 35 (5) 525-544.
- Brown I, Jude S, Koukoulas S, Nicholls R, Dickson M & Walkden M (2006) Dynamic simulation and visualisation of coastal erosion, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 30 (6) 840-860.
- Jude S, Jones AP, Andrews JE & Bateman IJ (2006) Visualisation for participatory coastal zone management: A case study of the Norfolk coast, England, Journal of Coastal Research, 22 (6) 1527-1538.
- Grafius D, Varga L & Jude S (2017) Infrastructure: opportunities from interdependencies. In: 3rd International Conference on Urban Sustainability & Resilience, Bloomsbury, London, 13-14 June 2017.
- Grafius D, Varga L & Jude S (2017) Infrastructure Interdependencies: opportunities from complexity. In: Valuing Infrastructure Conference: Valuing the Infrastructure of Cities, Regions and Nations, Leeds, 26-27 April 2017.
- Varga L, Grafius D & Jude S (2017) Interdependencies: a Janusian notion. In: Infrastructure Grand Challenges: Exhibition and Networking Forum, Institute of Civil Engineers, London, 21 February 2017.
- Nicholls R, Hanson S, Mokrech M, Stansby P, Chini N, Walkden M, Dawson R, Roche N, Hall J, Nicholson-Cole S, Watkinson A, Jude S, Lowe J, Wolf J, Leake J, Rounsevell M, Fontaine C & Acosta-Michlik L (2008) The Tyndall coastal simulator and interface. In: Coastal Engineering 2008: 31st International Conference, Hamburg, 31 August - 5 September 2008.
- Gill AB, Birchenough S, Jones A, Judd A, Jude S, Payo A & Wilson B (2018) Implications for the marine environment of energy extraction in the sea.. In: Offshore Energy and Marine Spatial Planning, Routledge.
- Jude S, Gill AB, Mauelshagen C & Willsteed E (2018) Risk and ocean energy. In: Ocean Energy: Governance Challenges for Wave and Tidal Stream Technologies, Abingdon: Routledge, p. 13-26.
- Jude SR, Mokrech M, Walkden M, Thomas J & Koukoulas S (2015) Visualising potential coastal change: communicating results using visualisation techniques. In: Broad Scale Coastal Simulation, Springer, p. 255-272.
- Jude SR, Mokrech M, Walkden MJ, Thomas J & Koukoulas S (2015) Visualising potential coastal change: communicating results using visualisation techniques. In: Broad scale coastal simulation: new techniques to understand and manage shorelines in the third millennium, Springer, p. 255-272.
- Mokrech M, Nicholls RJ, Day S, Dawson R, Jude SR & Koukoulas S (2015) GIS platforms for managing, accessing and integrating model results: The Tyndall coastal simulator experience. In: Broad scale coastal simulation: new techniques to understand and manage shorelines in the third millennium, Springer, p. 273-298.
- Paar P, Appleton K, Clasen M, Gensel M, Jude S & Lovett A (2008) Interactive visual simulation of coastal landscape change. In: Digital Earth Summit on Geoinformatics 2008: Tools for Global Change Research, Wichmann, p. 153-159.
- Brown I, Jude SR, Koukoulas S, Nicholls R, Dickson M & Walkden M (2007) Using virtual reality to simulate future coastal erosion: a participative decision tool?. In: GIS for Environmental Decision Making, CRC Press.
- Jude SR, Brown I, Koukoulas S, Dickson M, Walkden M, Jones AP & Watkinson A (2005) Exploring future coastlines – initial steps towards the development of an integrated coastal simulation and visualisation system. In: Trends in real-time landscape visualization and participation : proceedings at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences 2005, Herbert Wichmann Verlag, p. 69-76.
- Jude SR, Jones AP, Bateman IJ & Andrews JE (2003) Developing Techniques to Visualise Future Coastal Landscapes. In: Trends in Landscape Modeling: Proceedings at Anhalt University of Applied Sciences 2003, Herbert Wichmann Verlag, p. 228-238.