Contact Dr Fiona Charnley
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2142
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fiona-charnley/11/92/598
Areas of expertise
Dr Fiona Charnley joined Cranfield University as a Lecturer in Sustainable Product and Service Design in 2011 after working as a research fellow at De Montfort University where she managed an EPSRC funded project to engage school communities in sustainable design principles. This role involved working with multiple stakeholders from primary and secondary school pupils, teachers and governors through to designers and architects on the UK Government’s Building Schools for the Future initiative.
Dr Charnley completed her PhD at Cranfield University in 2008 which focused on the factors that enable and inhibit the process of whole system design for the development of more innovative and sustainable products, services and systems. Working with a consortium of companies she conducted a longitudinal case study following the system level design of the Morgan Lifecar. Fiona has an MSc by research from Cranfield University in which she investigated the cognitive problem solving abilities of design engineers and a BA (Hons) in Industrial Design and Technology from Loughborough University.
Dr Charnley aspires to position Cranfield University as an internationally leading centre for the Circular Economy. This is being achieved by establishing a portfolio of multi-disciplinary research projects demonstrating the implementation of circular design, manufacture and technology across industrial sectors. Additionally Fiona is pioneering the development of skills and capabilities necessary for circular production within leaders of the future through the development of new educational courses.
Dr Charnley leads a number of research grants investigating new industrial systems for more sustainable and circular models of production and consumption. Grants that Fiona is currently working on include:
· The RECODE Network: Consumer Goods, Big Data and Re-Distributed Manufacturing [EP/M017567/1] consisting of five universities and over 15 industry partners, investigating the role of big data in re-distributed manufacturing. See: www.recode-network.com
· Circular 4.0: Digital Technologies to Enable a Circular Economy [EPSRC Network Plus Feasibility Study] an investigation into how data, acquired through the latest advances in digital technologies can shape decisions about the design, manufacture and utilisation of consumer products to accelerate the implementation of more circular approaches in manufacturing.
· Energy Resilient Manufacturing II: Small is Beautiful [EPSRC EP/P012272/1] this project aims to develop a novel methodology and modelling toolkit, to enable energy resilient manufacture with the production of castings at maximum yield rates with minimal energy and material usage.
Dr Charnley leads a pan-university community of practice at Cranfield to develop research and teaching programmes to support the transition towards a Circular Economy. She collaborates with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation to deliver the Schmidt-MacArthur Fellowship to 19 international universities.
Fiona is the Design Programme Director within the Centre for Creative Competitive Design and oversees the delivery of three Mdes courses that address a wide spectrum of approaches and practical application of creativity and innovation for design. As well as teaching across these courses she has also developed the world's first executive masters course in the field of a Circular Economy 'Technology Innovation and Management for a Circular Economy'. This online course will provide professionals, from across industrial sectors, with technological knowledge, system-level understanding and personal competency to design, evaluate and manage the implementation of transformational solutions for the future.
Fiona collaborates with a range of partners across industrial sectors including:
BAE Systems, Chanel, Cisco, Coca-Cola Enterprises, DHL, Granta Design, High Speed Sustainable Manufacturing Institute, Manufacturing Technology Centre, Philips, Riversimple, Rolls-Royce, The Ellen MacArthur Foundation, Unilever and WRAP
Articles In Journals
- Okorie O, Turner C, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Tiwari A & Hutabarat W (2018) A decision-making framework for the implementation of remanufacturing in rechargeable energy storage system in hybrid and electric vehicles, Procedia Manufacturing, 25 142-153.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Moreno M, Turner C & Tiwari A (2018) Digitisation and the circular economy: A review of current research and future trends, Energies, 11 (11) Article No. 3009.
- Okorie O, Salonitis K, Charnley F & Turner C (2018) A systems dynamics enabled real-time efficiency for fuel cell data-driven remanufacturing, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 2 (4) Article No. 77.
- Moreno M, Court R, Wright M & Charnley F (2018) Opportunities for redistributed manufacturing and digital intelligence as enablers of a circular economy, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, Early online. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.c.3392994
- Kuzmina K, Prendeville S, Walker D & Charnley F (2018) Future scenarios for Fast-Moving Consumer Goods in a circular economy, Futures, Early online.
- Wastling T, Charnley F & Moreno M (2018) Design for circular behaviour: Considering users in a circular economy, Sustainability, 10 (6) Article No. 1743.
- Nunes BT, Pollard SJ, Burgess PJ, Ellis G, de los Rios IC & Charnley F (2018) University contributions to the circular economy: Professing the hidden curriculum, Sustainability, 10 (8) Article No. 2719.
- De los Rios IC & Charnley FJ (2017) Skills and capabilities for a sustainable and circular economy: The changing role of design, Journal of Cleaner Production, 160 109-122.
- Despeisse M, Baumers M, Brown P, Charnley F, Ford SJ, Garmulewicz A, Knowles S, Minshall TH, Mortara L, Reed-Tsochas FP & Rowley J (2017) Unlocking value for a circular economy through 3D printing: a research agenda, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 115 75-84.
- Rowe Z, Wilson H, Charnley F & Dimitriu R (2017) The best I can be: how self-accountability impacts product choice in technology mediated environments, Psychology and Marketing, 34 (5) 521-537.
- Moreno M, Turner M, Tiwari A, Hutabarat W, Charnley F, Widjaja D & Mondini L (2017) Re-distributed manufacturing to achieve a circular economy: A case study utilizing IDEF0 modeling, Procedia CIRP, 63 686-691.
- Pollard S, Turney A, Charnley F & Webster K (2016) The circular economy - a reappraisal of the 'stuff' we love, Geography, 101 (1) 17-27.
- Singh Srai J, Kumar M, Graham G, Phillips W, Tooze J, Ford S, Beecher P, Raj B, Gregory M, Kumar Tiwari M, Ravi B, Neely A, Shankar R, Charnley F & Tiwari A (2016) Distributed manufacturing: scope, challenges and opportunities, International Journal of Production Research, 54 (23) 6917-6935.
- Moreno M, De los Rios C, Rowe Z & Charnley F (2016) A conceptual framework for circular design, Sustainability, 8 (9) Article No. 937.
- Charnley F, Lemon M & Evans S (2010) Exploring the process of whole system design, Design Studies, 32 (2) 156-179.
- Davies GJ, Kendall G, Soane E, Li J, Charnley F & Pollard SJT (2010) Regulators as 'agents': power and personality in risk regulation and a role for agent-based simulation, Journal of Risk Research, 13 (8) 961-982.
- Charnley F, Fleming P, Dowsett T, Fleming M, Cook M & Mill G (2010) Engaging schools in the science of low-energy buildings, Public Understanding of Science, 2010 (November) 1-16.
- Charnley F, Fleming P, Fleming M & Mill G (2010) Engaging pupils in the science, engineering and technology of a low-energy school, School Science Review, 92 (338) 73-80.
- Coley FJS & Lemon M (2009) Exploring the design and perceived benefit of sustainable solutions: a review, Journal of Engineering Design, 20 (6) 543-554.
- Houseman O, Coley F & Roy R (2008) Comparing the cognitive actions of design engineers and cost estimators, Journal of Engineering Design, 19 (2) 145-158.
- Pollard SJT, Davies GJ, Coley F & Lemon M (2008) Better environmental decision making - Recent progress and future trends., Science of the Total Environment, 400 (1-3) 20-31.
- Rowe ZO, Wilson HN, Dimitriu R, Charnley FJ & Lastrucci G Pride in my past: influencing sustainable choices through behavioral recall, Psychology and Marketing, In press.
- Okorie O, Turner C, Charnley F, Moreno M & Tiwari A (2017) A review of data driven approaches for circular economy in manufacturing. In: 18th European Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production (ERSCP), Skiathos Island, 1-5 October 2017.
- Jolly MR, Salonitis K, Charnley F, Ball P, Mehrabi H & Pagone E (2017) Energy efficiency status-quo at UK foundries: the “small-is-beautiful” project. In: Light Metals 2017 (TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition), San Diego, CA, 26 February - 2 March 2017.
- Moreno MA, Ponte O & Charnley F (2017) Taxonomy of design strategies for a circular design tool. In: PLATE 2017: Product Lifetimes and the Environment, (Research in Design), Delft, 8-10 November 2017.