Areas of expertise
Dr Velenis received his MSc and PhD degrees from the School of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology, GA, USA in 2000 and 2006 respectively and his Mechanical Engineering Diploma from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the National Technical University of Athens in 1999. In 2006 he was awarded the Luther Long award for the best PhD dissertation in Engineering Mechanics at Georgia Institute of Technology. Following his PhD, Efstathios held a Post-doctoral researcher position at Georgia Institute of Technology and was a visiting researcher at Ford Motor Company in MI, USA.
Dr Velenis is currently a Senior Lecturer at the Advanced Vehicle Engineering Centre at Cranfield University. His research focuses on vehicle dynamics and control, optimal control for active chassis systems and autonomous vehicles, lap-time optimisation and tire modelling. He has received research funding from EPSRC, Innovate UK and the European Commission.
Articles In Journals
- Tavernini D, Velenis E & Longo S (2017) Feedback brake distribution control for minimum pitch, Vehicle System Dynamics, 55 (6) 902-923.
- Martinez CM, Hu X, Cao D, Velenis E, Gao B & Wellers M (2017) Energy management in plug-in hybrid electric vehicles: recent progress and a connected vehicles perspective, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 66 (5) 4534-4549.
- Basrah MS, Siampis E, Velenis E, Cao DP & Longo S (2017) Wheel slip control with torque blending using linear and nonlinear model predictive control, Vehicle System Dynamics, 55 (11) 1665-1685.
- Smith E, Velenis E, Tavernini D & Cao D (2017) Effect of handling characteristics on minimum time cornering with torque vectoring, Vehicle System Dynamics, Early online (2) 1-28.
- Kampanakis A, Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2016) A torque vectoring optimal control strategy for combined vehicle dynamics performance enhancement and electric motor ageing minimisation, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49 (1) 412-417.
- Tremlett A, Massaro M, Purdy D, Velenis E, Assadian F, Moore A & Halley M. (2015) Optimal control of motorsport differentials, Vehicle System Dynamics, 53 (12) 1772-1794.
- Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2015) Rear wheel torque vectoring model predictive control with velocity regulation for electric vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 53 (11) 1555-1579.
- Katzourakis DI, Velenis E, Holweg E & Happee R (2014) Haptic steering support for driving near the vehicle's handling limits; skid-pad case, International Journal of Automotive Technology, 15 (1) 151-163.
- Tavernini D, Massaro M, Velenis E, Katzourakis DI & Lot R (2013) Minimum time cornering: the effect of road surface and car transmission layout, Vehicle System Dynamics, 51 (10) 1533-1547.
- Katzourakis DI, Velenis E, Abbink D, Happee R & Holweg E (2012) Race-car instrumentation for driving behavior studies, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 61 (2) 462-474.
- Velenis E, Katzourakis D, Frazzoli E, Tsiotras P & Happee R (2011) Steady-state drifting stabilization of RWD vehicles, Control Engineering Practice, 19 (11) 1363-1376.
- Velenis E, Frazzoli E & Tsiotras P (2010) Steady-state cornering equilibria and stabilisation for a vehicle during extreme operating conditions, International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, 8 (2/3/4) 217-241.
- Velenis E & Tsiotras P (2008) Minimum-time travel for a vehicle with acceleration limits: Theoretical analysis and receding-horizon implementation, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 138 (2) 275-296.
- Velenis E, Tsiotras P & Lu J (2008) Optimality properties and driver input parameterization for trail-braking cornering, European Journal of Control, 14 (4) 308-320.
- Velenis E, Tsiotras P, Canudas-De-Wit C & Sorine M (2005) Dynamic tyre friction models for combined longitudinal and lateral vehicle motion, Vehicle System Dynamics, 43 (1) 3-29.
- Tsiotras P, Velenis E & Sorine M (2004) A LuGre tire friction model with exact aggregate dynamics, Vehicle System Dynamics, 42 (3) 195-210.
- Canudas-de-Wit C, Tsiotras P, Velenis E, Basset M & Gissinger G (2003) Dynamic friction models for road/tire longitudinal interaction, Vehicle System Dynamics, 39 (3) 189-226.
- Smith EN, Tavernini D, Velenis E & Cao D (2016) Evaluation of optimal yaw rate reference for closed-loop electric vehicle torque vectoring. In: 13th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, AVEC'16, Munich, 13-16 September 2016.
- Basrah MS, Siampis E, Velenis E, Cao D & Longo S (2016) Integration of torque blending and slip control using real-time nonlinear model predictive control. In: 13th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, AVEC'16, Munich, 13-16 September 2016.
- Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2015) Model Predictive torque vectoring control for electric vehicles near the limits of handling. In: 2015 European Control Conference, ECC 2015, Linz, 15-17 July 2015.
- Balakrishnnan VK, Longo S, Velenis E & Barber P (2014) Sensor configurations and testbed for vehicle state estimation. In: UKACC International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2014), Loughborough, 9-11 July 2014.
- Velenis E (2011) FWD vehicle drifting control: The handbrake-cornering technique. In: 50th IEEE Decision and Control and European Control Conference, 2011, Orlando, 12-15 December 2011.
- Velenis E, Frazzoli E & Tsiotras P (2009) On steady-state cornering equilibria for wheeled vehicles with drift. In: 48th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and 28th Chinese Control Conference, CDC/CCC 2009, Shanghai, 15-18 December 2009.
- Velenis E, Tsiotras P & Lu J (2007) Aggressive maneuvers on loose surfaces: Data analysis and input parametrization. In: 2007 Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED2007), Athens, 27-29 June 2007.