Areas of expertise
Dr Velenis received his PhD in Aerospace Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology in 2006. His PhD research was honoured with the Georgia Institute of Technology's Luther Long award for the best PhD thesis in the area of Engineering Mechanics.
From 2006 to 2007 he worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow in trajectory optimisation for land vehicles at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and as a visiting researcher at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan.
From 2008 to 2012 he was a lecturer and course director of undergraduate Motorsport Engineering position at the School of Engineering and Design at Brunel University in the UK.
Dr Velenis is a lecturer in Automotive Engineering and course director of the MSc in Automotive Mechatronics course. He specialises in modelling and control of vehicle dynamics.
Dr Velenis' research focuses on control design for active chassis systems, modelling of tyre forces, nonlinear optimisation for lap-time simulation, modelling of expert driving techniques near the limit of handling.
Articles In Journals
- Kampanakis A, Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2016) A torque vectoring optimal control strategy for combined vehicle dynamics performance enhancement and electric motor ageing minimisation, IFAC papers online, 49 (1) 412-417.
- Tremlett A, Massaro M, Purdy D, Velenis E, Assadian F, Moore A & Halley M. (2015) Optimal control of motorsport differentials, Vehicle System Dynamics, 53 (12) 1772-1794.
- Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2015) Rear wheel torque vectoring model predictive control with velocity regulation for electric vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 53 (11) 1555-1579.
- Katzourakis DI, Velenis E, Holweg E & Happee R (2014) Haptic steering support for driving near the vehicle's handling limits; skid-pad case, International Journal of Automotive Technology, 15 (1) 151-163.
- Tavernini D, Massaro M, Velenis E, Katzourakis DI & Lot R (2013) Minimum time cornering: the effect of road surface and car transmission layout, Vehicle System Dynamics, 51 (10) 1533-1547.
- Katzourakis DI, Velenis E, Abbink D, Happee R & Holweg E (2012) Race-car instrumentation for driving behavior studies, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 61 (2) 462-474.
- Velenis E, Katzourakis D, Frazzoli E, Tsiotras P & Happee R (2011) Steady-state drifting stabilization of RWD vehicles, Control Engineering Practice, 19 (11) 1363-1376.
- Velenis E, Frazzoli E & Tsiotras P (2010) Steady-state cornering equilibria and stabilisation for a vehicle during extreme operating conditions, International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, 8 (2/3/4) 217-241.
- Velenis E & Tsiotras P (2008) Minimum-time travel for a vehicle with acceleration limits: Theoretical analysis and receding-horizon implementation, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 138 (2) 275-296.
- Velenis E, Tsiotras P & Lu J (2008) Optimality properties and driver input parameterization for trail-braking cornering, European Journal of Control, 14 (4) 308-320.
- Velenis E, Tsiotras P, Canudas-De-Wit C & Sorine M (2005) Dynamic tyre friction models for combined longitudinal and lateral vehicle motion, Vehicle System Dynamics, 43 (1) 3-29.
- Tsiotras P, Velenis E & Sorine M (2004) A LuGre tire friction model with exact aggregate dynamics, Vehicle System Dynamics, 42 (3) 195-210.
- Canudas-de-Wit C, Tsiotras P, Velenis E, Basset M & Gissinger G (2003) Dynamic friction models for road/tire longitudinal interaction, Vehicle System Dynamics, 39 (3) 189-226.
- Smith EN, Tavernini D, Velenis E & Cao D (2016) Evaluation of optimal yaw rate reference for closed-loop electric vehicle torque vectoring. In: 13th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, AVEC'16, Munich, 13 September 2016.
- Basrah MS, Siampis E, Velenis E, Cao D & Longo S (2016) Integration of torque blending and slip control using real-time nonlinear model predictive control. In: 13th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, AVEC'16, Munich, 13 September 2016.
- Siampis E, Velenis E & Longo S (2015) Model Predictive torque vectoring control for electric vehicles near the limits of handling. In: 2015 European Control Conference, ECC 2015, Linz, 15 July 2015.
- Balakrishnnan VK, Longo S, Velenis E & Barber P (2014) Sensor configurations and testbed for vehicle state estimation. In: UKACC International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2014), Loughborough, 9 July 2014.