Cranfield is in an ideal position – the peaceful location enables you to focus on your studies, yet you'll be just a short distance from the vibrant towns of Milton Keynes and Bedford, and only an hour by road or rail to London, Oxford and Cambridge.
You might choose to live in the nearby village of Cranfield, which is two miles by road from the University. It is an attractive village with a supermarket, shops, take-away restaurants, petrol station, chemist, Post Office, hairdresser, pubs and a church. Other nearby villages include Wootton, North Crawley and Marston Moretaine. Do consider transport options carefully when considering off campus accommodation as you will almost certainly benefit from the use of a car.
If you're thinking about accommodation off-campus, please feel free to search through the property listings. If you find something you like, please contact the landlord directly using the contact number listed. Don't forget to read important notes in our General Guidance section, below, before you enter in an agreement for off-campus accommodation.
- Use your common sense; if something appears too good to be true, it often is.
- Be wary of paying any money to a prospective landlord if asked to do so via a money transfer system. If possible pay via a reputable service.
- Don’t be pressured into signing any agreement or parting with any money before you have the chance to view the property and speak to the landlord.
- Ask to see a copy of the tenancy agreement and read it carefully (usually an Assured Shorthold Tenancy); any tenancy entered into is legally binding. Ensure there is an opt out clause if you think you may leave before the end of your tenancy. In some cases there may not be, so check carefully otherwise you may have to pay rent even though you are not living there.
- Tenancy deposit scheme: from 6th April 2007 all deposits taken by landlords in England and Wales must be protected by a tenancy deposit scheme. This ensures that when a tenant has paid a deposit and is entitled to get it back, this actually happens, and will assist in resolving disputes which may arise regarding refund of deposits. The scheme applies only to Assured Shorthold Tenancies; for more comprehensive advice go to www.directgov.co.uk or www.shelter.org.uk.
- If there are gas appliances within the property, ask to see the current gas safety certificate to ensure it is valid.
- If you choose to live off campus and do not have a car, ensure transport links to campus are adequate. Further information regarding transport to the Cranfield campus, may be found here.
Please note properties listed herewith are within an approximate 5 mile radius from the campus. If you prefer to live in a more urban environment, you may need to search for accommodation through one of the national web sites, such as: www.rightmove.co.uk or www.spareroom.co.uk.
Bedford, Kempston , Newport Pagnell and Milton Keynes are all such areas, approximately 8-10 miles from campus.