Prior to joining Cranfield University, Elisabeth worked at King's College London, London Business School, the London School of Economics and Political Science and Zurich University. She holds a PhD from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Elisabeth Kelan, PhD, is a Professor of Leadership and the Director of the Global Centre for Gender and Leadership at Cranfield School of Management. Her research focuses on gender and leadership, generations in organizations, leadership and diversity and inclusion. She has published two books (Rising Stars - Developing Millennial Women as Leaders and Performing Gender, both with Palgrave) and numerous peer-reviewed articles in academic journals and practitioner reports. She is an associate editor of the journal Gender, Work and Organization and is on the editorial board of the British Journal of Management. Elisabeth is the Series Editor for Routledge Studies in Gender and Organizations . She was a British Academy Mid-Career Fellow (academic year 2014/15) and her research project explored gender inclusive leadership practices. She is currently involved in an ESRC funded seminar series on Gendered Inclusion (2015-2018).
Her research has been recognized through various academic and practitioner awards. She is also regularly providing thought-leadership to businesses and international organizations. She sits on the advisory boards of the Women's Empowerment Principles, a partnership initiative of UN Women and the UN Global Compact, as well as the National Society of High School Scholars Foundation.
Supranational Organizations: United Nations Focal Point for Women, United Nations Global Compact/UN Women, Council of Europe, European Central Bank, OECD, CERN European Organization of Nuclear Research.
Corporations: Accenture, Allianz, Airbus, Ashurst, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Cassidian, Clifford Chance, DLA Piper, European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), EY, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, Google, JPMorgan, KPMG, Linklaters, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Procter & Gamble, Saatchi & Saatchi, Novartis, Roche, RWE.
Articles In Journals
- Kelan E & Humbert A (2016) 31/7/16 Editorial: Gender in Management Research, British Journal of Management.
- Gill R, Kelan EK & Scharff CM A Postfeminist Sensibility at Work, Gender, Work and Organization.
- Adamson M, Kelan EK, Lewis, P, Rumens, N, Śliwa & M (2016) The Quality of Equality: Thinking Differently about Gender Inclusion in Organizations, Human Resource Management International Digest.
- Humbert AL & Kelan EK (2016) Gender in Management Research, British Journal of Management.
- Kelan E (2015) 4/1/2016 - Why male middle managers are the key to equality in the workplace, Management focus, Autumn\Winter (39) 10-11.
- Nentwich JC & Kelan EK (2014) Towards a Topology of 'Doing Gender': An Analysis of Empirical Research and Its Challenges, Gender, Work and Organization, 21 (2) 121-134.
- Kelan EK (2014) Organising Generations - What Can Sociology Offer to the Understanding of Generations at Work?, Sociology Compass, 8 (1) 20-30.
- Kelan EK & Mah A (2014) Gendered identification: Between idealization and admiration, British Journal of Management, 25 (1) 91-101.
- Kelan EK (2014) From Biological Clocks to Unspeakable Inequalities: The Intersectional Positioning of Young Professionals, British Journal of Management, 25 (4) 790-804.
- Kelan E (2014) Faculty Focus: Elisabeth Kelan, Management Focus (37) 26-26.
- Wang M & Kelan EK (2013) The Gender Quota and Female Leadership: Effects of the Norwegian Gender Quota on Board Chairs and CEOs, Journal of Business Ethics, 117 (3) 449-466.
- Kelan EK (2013) The Becoming of Business Bodies: Gender, Appearance, and Leadership Development, Management Learning, 44 (1) 45-61.
- Kelan EK (2011) Moving Bodies and Minds - The Quest for Embodiment in Teaching and Learning, Higher Education Research Network Journal, 3 39-46.
- Kelan EK & Dunkley Jones R (2010) Gender and the MBA, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 9 (1) 26-43.
- Kelan EK (2010) Gender logic and (Un)doing gender at work, Gender, Work and Organization, 17 (2) 174-194.
- Kelan EK (2009) Gender fatigue: The ideological dilemma of gender neutrality and discrimination in organizations, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences / Revue Canadienne des Sciences de l'Administration, 26 (3) 197-210.
- Kelan EK & Dunkley Jones R (2009) Reinventing the MBA as a rite of passage for a boundaryless era, Career Development International, 14 (6) 547-569.
- Kelan EK (2008) Gender, risk and employment insecurity: The masculine breadwinner subtext, Human Relations, 61 (9) 1171-1202.
- Kelan EK (2008) The discursive construction of gender in contemporary management literature, Journal of Business Ethics, 81 (2) 427-445.
- Kelan EK (2008) Emotions in a rational profession: The gendering of skills in ICT work, Gender, Work and Organization, 15 (1) 49-71.
- Kelan EK (2007) Tools and Toys: Communicating Gendered Positions Towards Technology, Information, Communication and Society, 10 (3) 357-382.
- Kelan EK (2007) 'I don't know why' - Accounting for the scarcity of women in ICT work, Women's Studies International Forum, 30 (6) 499-511.
- Kelan & EK (2016) Men, Managers and Moderate Feminism – Analysing the Construction of Men in Gender Equality Efforts. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Carr M & Kelan EK (2016) Mobilising femininities in the workplace: Offering intra-gender support as a way to make work 'work'. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Brown SE & Kelan EK (2016) 'There’s Never Been a Better Time to be a Woman’: Neoliberal Feminism and Women on Board. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Baker DT & Kelan EK (2016) Snakes and ladders: comparing the career trajectories of men and women in finance and accounting. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Baker DT & Kelan EK (2016) Giving an account of oneself. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Baker DT & Kelan EK (2016) Transmogrifying organisational space. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Adamson M & Kelan EK (2016) Modelling the Corporate Feminist? Celebrity Business Women as Postfeminist Role Models’. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Humbert AL, Kelan EK & van den Brink M (2016) How Leaders See Gender Quotas: A comparative analysis of attitudes toward legislated board quotas in the EU. In: 9th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Gender, Work and Organization conferenc, Keele University.
- Brown, SE & Kelan EK (2015) Corporate and Management elites.
- Quental C & Kelan E (2015) The Gendered Construction of Skills in the Promotion to Partner.
- Brown SE & Kelan EK (2014) Gender in the Board Appointment Process: Discursive Effects of the 'Ideal' Board Member.
- Kelan EK & Wratil P (2014) In Defence of Merit - Have CEOs become Corporate Feminists?.
- Kelan EK & Wratil P (2014) The Tone at the Top - CEOs as Macro Change Agents for Gender Equality.
- Kelan EK (2012) Gender in Professional Service Firms - A Review and Research Agenda.
- Kelan EK (2012) Gendered Identification: Between Idealization and Admiration.
- Kelan EK (2011) Performing Diversity.
- Kelan EK (2011) Re(dis)covering the Self - Analysing the Practice of Yoga.
- Kelan EK (2010) Embodying Professionalism: The Role of Dress in Constructing Gendered Professionalism.
- Kelan EK (2010) Collective Individualism - How Technology Changes Expectations of Work.
- Kelan EK & Mah A (2009) Making Young Professionals Brand Conform: Embodying Brands and Gender.
- Kelan EK & Humbert A (2008) Patchwork Identities: Gendering ICT Entrepreneurship in an Irish Context.
- Kelan EK (2008) Gender Fatigue - Camouflaging Gender Discrimination in Organizations.
- Kelan E 15/12/2015 - Doing Leadership, Doing Gender - A Critical Performative Approach to Gender Inclusive Leadership.
- Baker DT & Kelan EK (2015) Policy and practice of diversity management in the workplace. In: Managing Diversity and Inclusion - An International Perspective. Syed J, Ozbilgin MF (ed.), Sage Publications Ltd, p. 78-105.
- Kelan E (2015) Glass Ceiling. In: Wiley Encyclopedia of Management. 5:1, John Wiley & Sons.
- Kelan EK (2014) Unspeakable Masculinities in Business Schools. In: Gender in Organizations: Are Men Allies or Adversaries to Women’s Career Advancement?. Burke R, Major D (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, p. 234-269.
- Kelan EK (2012) Rising Stars - Developing Millennial Women as Leaders. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kelan EK (2012) Gender in Consulting: A Review and Research Agenda. In: The Oxford Handbook of Management Consulting. Kipping M, Clark T (ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Edwards MR & Kelan EK (2011) Employer branding and diversity: Foes or friends?. In: Branded Lives: The Production and Consumption of Meaning at Work. Brannan MJ, Parsons E, Priola V (ed.), p. 168-184.
- Humbert A, Drew E & Kelan EK (2010) Gender identity and ICT entrepreneurship in an Irish context. In: Handbook Of Research On High-Technology Entrepreneurs. Ozbilgin M, Malach-Pines A (ed.), Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., p. 123-141.
- Kelan EK & Nentwich JC (2009) The value of seeing gender as a 'doing'. In: Equality, diversity and inclusion at work: A research companion. Ozbilgin M (ed.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Kelan EK (2009) The Politics of Gender and Technology. In: A Companion to Philosophy of Technology. Berg Olsen JK, Pendersen SA, Hendricks VF (ed.), Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, p. 338-341.
- Kelan EK (2009) Performing Gender at Work. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kelan EK (2009) Discursive Theories of Gender. In: Encyclopaedia of Gender and Society. O'Brien J (ed.), London: Sage.
- Kelan EK (2008) Self-Entrepreneurial Careers: Current Management Practices in Swiss ICT work. In: Management Practices in High Tech Environments. Jemielniak D, Kociatkiewicz J (ed.), Hershey: Information Science Reference, p. 283-297.