Richard has been focused on developing people and organisations for over 25 years in a variety of contexts. He has worked as a senior organisational psychologist and manager, in a variety of private and public organisations, and continues to act as a consultant to many plcs and several consultancies. He is both a Chartered and Registered Occupational Psychologist and a Counselling Psychologist. He is a former Chair of the British Psychological Society's Division of Occupational Psychology, BPS Council, Board of Directors and former chair of the BPS Ethics Committee. He is a chartered member of the CIPD. He helped set up and was the director of the first UK Doctorate in Organisational Psychology.
Richard is a Registered Practitioner Psychologist (HPC), Member of the Division of Occupational Psychology, Member of the Division of Sports Psychology, Member of the Division of Counselling Psychology, Founder member of Special Group in Coaching Psychology.
His research interests centre around the application of psychology to organisations and individuals, and includes work on culture change and resistance, on assessment centres and minorities, and on the emotional aspects of learning and change, Ethics and on applying psychology to politics. He has published and presented dozens of papers and contributed to several books. He was a specialist reviewer for the Higher Education Quality Assurance Agency and is currently a panel member and visitor for the Health Professions Council. He has been quoted in the media, is a reviewer for several journals, a former associate editor of 'The Psychologist' and on the editorial board of Management and Organization. He is a Chartered Scientist and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He currently chairs the accreditation appeals panel for the World Association of Business Coaches.
He continues to apply psychology to the world of work through his consultancy and coaching practice; he has worked with individuals and organizations from consultants to Board members from all over the world, from Steel to Defence and Health to alternative technology. In 2011 the prestigious award of Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences was conferred for a significant contribution to Social Science in the UK. He is active in his community; a school governor, and a trustee of the Cranfield Trust.
Articles In Journals
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) Our House, The House 36-37.
- Kwiatkowski R (2015) The Psychology of Managing Trust, Developing Leaders (18) 18-22.
- Kwiatkowski R The psychology of (re)entering the House of Commons, The House.
- Kwiatkowski R (2014) Building Trust in Business, Management Focus (37) 8-9.
- Stone J, Burley C & Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethics: 'Can you help me get to Dignitas?', Psychologist, 25 (1) 52-55.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) The Prize Fight, Springboard 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Keeping staff on track, Springboard (Winter) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Sentenced to hard emotional labour, Springboard (Summer) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) The ethical manager, Management focus (29) 22-23.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Managing emotions, Business Executive (118) 14-15.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Managing emotions and customers, Springboard (Spring) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Will you risk it?, Springboard (Autumn) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Will you bounce or shatter?, Springboard (3) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Keeping your head when all about you are losing theirs..., Springboard (2) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2009) Nothing to fear except fear itself, Springboard (Summer) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Ethics for occupational psychologists or organisations or both?, People & Organisations@Work (Spring 2008).
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Do we love team decisions too much?, Springboard (1) 46-46.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Room at the top: A change of CEO for the Labour Government, People & Organisations@Work.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Optimistic about Ethics, People & Organisations@Work.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Science and ethics underly our actions, Science and Public Affairs -London- (Mar) 10-10.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Still in love with psychology, Psychologist, 20 (5) 306-307.
- Kwiatkowski R (2006) Ethics and research with children - Reply from Chair of Ethics Committee, Psychologist 467-467.
- Kwiatkowski R, Duncan D & Shimmin S (2006) What have we forgotten and why?, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79 (2) 183-201.
- Kwiatkowski R & Duncan D (2006) UK occupational / organizational psychology, applied science and applied humanism: Some further thoughts on what we have forgotten, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79 (2) 217-224.
- Kwiatkowski R (2004) Management by lucky dip, HR Business 9-9.
- Kwiatkowski R (2003) We are not adjectives, we are psychologists , Psychologist, 16 (9).
- Kwiatkowski R (2003) Trends in Organisations and Selection: An Introduction, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 18 (5) 382-394.
- Kwiatkowski R (2002) Using Psychometrics to Predict Job Performance, Management quarterly : from the Faculty of Finance and Management of the ICAEW in association with Cranfield School of Management / The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Cranfield University School of Management, 16 7-12.
- Kwiatkowski R, Lewis C & Sage R (2001) The beginnings of the doctorate in occupational psychology, The Occupational Psychologist 43-45.
- Kwiatkowski R (2001) Commentary on a disciplinary case, Psychologist.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Counselling and Psychotherapy: Are they Different and Should we Care?, Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 11 (1) 5-14.
- Bayne R & Kwiatkowski R (1998) Type and Time Orientation: A Partial Replication and Critique of Harrison and Lawrence, Journal of Psychological Type, 47 28-34.
- Kwiatkowski R & Hogan D (1998) Emotional Aspects of Large Group Teaching, Human Relations, 51 (11) 1403-1417.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Research assessment may be harming applied psychology, Psychologist 205-206.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling psychology from an occupational perspective, Division of Counselling Psychology, 2 18-25.
- Kwiatkowski R (1994) Testing in the workplace, Psychologist, 7 (1) 10-10.
- Kwiatkowski R (1990) The certificate of competence in occupational testing, Psychologist.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1989) Paradigms lost?, The Occupational Psychologist, 7 16-18.
- Kwiatkowski R & Dryden W (1989) What is Counselling? Some Discussion Issues, Journal of Workplace Learning, 1 (3) 4-10.
- Kwiatkowski R & Ferguson J (1988) Commentary on Chris Argyris's Myers memorial lecture 'Organisational Defensive Routines', The Occupational Psychologist, 2.
- Kwiatkowski RM (1987) The psychotic adolescent in the group, British Journal of Psychotherapy, 4 (1) 23-29.
- Bushnell I, Burke E, Kwiatkowski R & Kosinski M (2014) What's so big about Big Data?.
- Kwiatkowski R (2013) The Psychologist and the organisation; some cautionary vignettes.
- Kwiatkowski R (2013) Organizational Change and the Changing Ethical Landscape: Possible Impacts of the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethical thinking and the brave new world.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Ethical dilemmas in practice.
- Kwiatkowski R (2012) Psychological leadership and ethics.
- Kwiatkowski R (2011) Politics and Change: A Longitudinal Study of Politicians in Government.
- Kwiatkowski R (2010) Psychology, Parliament, Organizational Politics and Change.
- Kwiatkowski R, Drogin E & Williams J (2010)
Preaching to the choir? Harmonising current BPS and HPC sources of professional guidance.
- Kwiatkowski R (2008) Invited discusaant/panel member on open session on psychological ethics.
- Kwiatkowski R (2007) Occupational/organizational psychologists and ethics: How do employers see us?.
- Kwiatkowski R (2005) Change in Parliament: reason or resistance?.
- Knox S, Kwiatkowski R, Jaina J, Creagh M, Hope-Hailey V, Moir L, Myddelton D & van der Hoven C (2005) The MBA paradox: Critical examination or practical relevance?.
- Kwiatkowski R (2005) Ethics: The Future?.
- Cooper D, James K, Kwiatkowski R & Taffler R (2004) The shadow in the balance sheet: The spectre of Enron and how accountants use the past as a psychological defence against the future.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Individual Strategic Capability.
- Turnbull James K, Kwiatkowski R & Bowman C (2004) Developing Strategic Capability: Managerial imaginings and psychological insights.
- Bowman C, James K & Kwiatkowski R (2003) Developing individual strategic capability: rediscovering psychological capability and context.
- Kwiatkowski R & Scott S (1998) Are assessment centres fair to ethnic minorities?: A study of major graduate recruiters.
- Scott S & Kwiatkowski R (1998) Foul or Fair? Assessment Centres and Ethnic minorities: a study of major UK recruiters.
- Kwiatkowski R (1998) Ethnic Minority Graduates and Assessment Centres.
- Kwiatkowski R & Gilby R (1997) Safety Culture in a Dying Factory.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling Psychology in an Organisational Context: Education and Experience defeat Ignorance and Integrity.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling vs Psychotherapy: some empirical thoughts on an old debate.
- Kwiatkowski R & Lawrence S (1996) Orchestral Metaphors and Organisational Reality: Or 'Taylor Rides Again'?.
- Kwiatkowski R (1994) Can your Grandmother suck eggs - on the difficulty of Evaluating Training.
- Kwiatkowski R, Azizollah H & Roach S (1991) Psychology without quality is like juggling without balls.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1990) On the consuption of the golden goose.
- Kwiatkowski R & Horncastle P (1989) Paradigms Lost?.
- Kwiatkowski R (2011) Politicians and Power: MPs in the UK Parliament. In: The Psychology of Politicians. Weinberg A (ed.), Cambridge University Press.
- Turnbull James K, Bowman C & Kwiatkowski R (2008) Strategic Leadership. In: Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K and Collins J (ed.), Palgrave Macmillan, p. 72-85.
- Kwiatkowski R, Jaina J, Creagh M, Hope-Hailey V, Knox S, Moir L, Myddelton D & van der Hoven C (2008) Can the MBA Develop Leadership?: "Academic Reflection" vs "Practical Training". In: Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 131-146.
- Kwiatkowski R & Winter B (2006) Roots, relativity and realism: the occupational psychologist as scientist-practitioner. In: The Modern Scientist - Practitioner: A Guide to Practice in Psychology. Lane D, Corrie S (ed.), London: Routledge, p. 158-240.
- Kwiatkowski R (2006) Inside-out and outside-in: the use of personality and 360 degree data in executive coaching. In: Executive Coaching - systems-psychodynamic perspective. Brunning H (ed.), London: Karnac Books, p. 153-181.
- Kwiatkowski R, Harris H, Kakabadse A & Mapes J (2002) Applying organisational behaviour theories and models in learning teams. In: Innovations in Teaching Business and Management. Hockings C, Moore I (ed.), SEDA, p. 157-165.
- Kwiatkowski R (2000) Conflict in Organisations. In: Handbook of Counselling and Psychotherapy. Feltham C, Horton I (ed.), Sage, p. 222-229.
- Kwiatkowski R & Hogan D (1998) Group membership. In: Counselling and Communication Skills for Medical and Health Practitioners. Bayne R, Nicolson P, Horton I (ed.), Leicester: The British Psychological Society, p. 117-128.
- Kwiatkowski R (1996) Counselling Psychology from an Occupational Perspective. In: Professional Therapeutic Titles: Myths and Realities. British Psychological Society for the Division of Counselling Psychology, Occasional Papers. James I, Palmer S (ed.), p. 18-25.