Thermal System Operation and Design
Course date: Please enquire
A fundamental introduction to the techniques and technologies employed for the design and operation of thermal energy systems: Heat-Exchangers, Heat-Exchanger Networks, Refrigeration, and Air-Conditioning.
Cranfield University is located at the very heart of the UK – within the innovation triangle between London and the cities of Oxford and Cambridge.
Our central location provides easy access from the M1, excellent main line rail service as well as proximity to key international airports. Set in rolling countryside, Cranfield offers a rich, rural landscape complemented by thriving towns and picturesque villages.
- Road: We are just 10 minutes from Junctions 13 & 14 of the M1 motorway. There is free parking on campus.
- Rail: Milton Keynes or Bedford
- Air: London Luton (22 miles), Heathrow (50 miles) or Birmingham (70 miles).
10% discount applies if booked 8 weeks in advance.
10% discount for 3rd and subsequent delegates from the same company/site.
Accommodation is on a full-board basis from the evening before the course commences until the afternoon of the last day. The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. The accommodation fee includes all other meals. Details of accommodation will be provided in the delegate information pack.
Dr Ilai Sher
Mr Terry Welch
How to register
For more information on this course or booking details please contact:
Academic Operations Unit
T: + 44 (0) 1234 754192
Please note that international delegates who require a letter of invitation from Cranfield University to support visa applications will be provided this once your booking has been confirmed.
The MSc in Energy Systems and Thermal Processes is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and the Engineering Council.
The MSc in Process Systems Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Council, Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Energy Institute and the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS).
- Apply the principles of heat transfer, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in the design of heat exchangers
- Apply pinch technology for the design of heat exchanger networks
- Understand the issues related to the efficient use of thermal energy and apply the relevant techniques and technologies
- Analyse and design refrigeration and air-conditioning systems, employing competent knowledge of their principles.
- Heat exchanger Design and Operation
- Heat exchangers
- Pinch analysis and energy system analysis
- Heat exchanger network design
- Design exercise (optimal design of a heat exchanger)
- Waste Heat Recovery and Thermal Storage
- Waste-heat recovery
- Thermal storage
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Vapour-compression refrigeration systems
- Refrigeration compressors
- Expansion devices
- Absorption refrigeration
- Psychrmetry and principle Air-conditioning processes
- Humidifiers, air washers and cooling towers.
Who Should Attend?
This course will be of particular interest to engineers employed in the heat and power generation, process, or oil and gas industries, and building services.
Five days of lectures, featuring practical examples and detailed case-studies. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
For any query regarding our short courses, please e-mail email@example.com.