Professor Dimitris Drikakis
Head, Department of Engineering Physics
Location: Building 83
T: +44(0) 1234 754796
Department of Engineering Physics
Professor Dimitris Drikakis is the Head of the Department of Engineering Physics. His research interests are:
- Flight Physics
- Fluid mechanics and thermal analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Shock Physics
- Computational Science (uncertainty modeling, multi-scale methods)
- High-performance computing
with applications to:
- Aerospace & Defence
- Nuclear and Mechanical Engineering
- Energy & Environment
He was honoured twice (2008 and 2012) with the William Penney Fellowship by the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) in recognition of his research in Compressible Fluid Dynamics.
Professor Drikakis is a member of the Fluid Dynamics Technical Committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics; Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society; Fellow of the Institute of Nanotechnology; Chartered Engineer; Life Member of the American Physical Society; Life Senior-Member of AIAA; Member of ASME
He has been the principal investigator of several research projects funded by EPSRC, European Union and industry. He has over 130 Journal publications, 12 book chapters and 180 conference papers, in addition to publishing the following books:
- High-Resolution Methods for Incompressible and Low-Speed Flows by D. Drikakis & W. Rider (Sandia Lab, USA), Springer 2005, 622 p. 480 illus. ISBN: 978-3-540-22136-4, Series: Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics.
- Turbulent Flow Computation, D. Drikakis & B. Geurts (University of Twente), Eds., Series: Fluid Mechanics and Its Applications , Vol. 66, 2002, 388 p., ISBN: 978-1-4020-0523-7.
He is an Associate Editor of The Aeronautical Journal, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering (2004-2012), Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, International Journal of Aviation Technology, Engineering and Management; and member of editorial boards in 12 technical journals.
Professor Drikakis has served as an evaluator on several funding bodies in the UK and abroad, incuding EPSRC; European Research Council; European Union; Los Alamos National Laboratory (USA), Finnish Academy of Science; Scientific Research Council (Belgium); Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC); Qatar National Research Fund; National Council for Research and Development (Romania), Leverhulme & Nuffield Foundations (UK).
Current PhD students
Full time: J. Appleyard, A. Antoniadis, M. Brown, D. Mantzalis, C. Barmparousis
Part time: J. Masselos, A. Weatherhead, P. Ioannou, M. Moutsou, G. Saridis
Former PhD students
B. Obadia, T. Oggian, Z. Rana, L. Konozsy , A. Mihaiescu, Y. Shimada, F. Inok, S. Tissera, M. Starr, K. Karantonis, C. Vamvakoulas, D. Sourmaidou, P. Ioannou, K. Iqbal, M. Lai J. Milnes, M. Porton, A. Milonas, C. Papachristou, M. Benke , E. Quaranta, N. Asproulis, P. Barton, N. Epiphaniou, P. Tsoutsanis, A. Mosedale, Z. Zachariadis, I. Kokkinakis, S. Loiodice, Z. Malick, J. Lechuga, B. Thornber, M. Hahn, M. Kalweit, P. Neofitou, A. Kani, A. Bagabir, G. Barakos.
Recent selected publications (Full list of publications available here)
- 1. D Knight, J. Longo, D Drikakis, D Gaitonde, A Lani, I Nompelis, B Reimann, L Walpot, Assessment of CFD capability for prediction of hypersonic shock interactions, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Volumes 48–49, January–February 2012, Pages 8-26.
- P. T. Barton, M. Kalweit, D. Drikakis, and G. Ball, Multi-scale analysis of high-speed dynamic friction, J. Appl. Phys. 110, 093520 (2011)
- D. Drikakis, N. Asproulis, “Quantification of Computational Uncertainty for Molecular and Continuum Methods in Thermo-Fluid Sciences”, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 64, 041001-1—041001-14, 2011
- Hahn, M.; Drikakis, D.; Youngs, D. L.; Williams, R. J. R, Richtmyer-Meshkov turbulent mixing arising from an inclined material interface with realistic surface perturbations and reshocked flow. Physics of Fluids, Apr, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p. 046101, 2011.
- Rana, Z. A.; Thornber, B.; Drikakis, D., Transverse jet injection into a supersonic turbulent cross-flow. Physics of Fluids, Apr, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p046103, 2011.
- N. Asproulis, D. Drikakis, Wall mass effects on hydrodynamic boundary slip, Physical Review E, 84, 031504 (2011).
- J. Appleyard, D. Drikakis, Higher-order CFD and interface tracking methods on highly-Parallel MPI and GPU systems. Computers & Fluids, Jul, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p101-105, 2011.
- Barton, P, Obadia, B., Drikakis, D. A conservative level-set based method for compressible solid/fluid problems on fixed grids, Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 230, Issue 21, September 2011, pp. 7867-7890, 2011.
- D. Mantzalis, N. Asproulis, D. Drikakis “Filtering carbon dioxide through carbon nanotubes”, Chemical Physics Letters, Apr2011, Vol. 506 Issue 1-3, p81-85, 2011.
- P. Tsoutsanis, V.A. Titarev and D. Drikakis. “WENO schemes on arbitrary mixed element unstructured meshes in three space dimensions” Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 230, Issue 4, 20 February 2011, Pages 1585-1601.
- S. Tissera, D. Drikakis, T. Birch, “Computational Fluid Dynamics Methods for Hypersonic Flow Around Blunted-Cone-Cylinder-Flare”, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 47, 4, 563-570, 2010.
- B. Thornber, D. Drikakis, D. L. Youngs, R.J.R. Williams “The influence of initial conditions on turbulent mixing due to Richtmyer–Meshkov instability”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 654, pp. 99-139, 2010.
- D. Drikakis, M. Hahn, A. Mosedale, B. Thornber, “Large Eddy Simulation Using High Resolution and High Order Methods”, Philosophical Transactions Royal Society A, 367, 2985-2997, 2009.
- M. Hahn, D. Drikakis “Implicit Large-Eddy Simulation of Swept Wing Flow using High-Resolution Methods'', AIAA Journal, Vol. 47, No. 3, 618-629, 2009.
- E. Quaranta, D. Drikakis, “Noise radiation from a ducted rotor in a swirling-translating flow”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 641, 463-473, 2009.
- A. Panaras, D. Drikakis, “High-speed unsteady flows around spiked-blunt bodies'', Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 632, pp. 69–96, 2009.
- M. Kalweit, D. Drikakis “Multiscale Methods for Micro/Nano Flows and Materials'', Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, 5, 1923-1938, 2008.