Analytical Biotechnology MSc/ PgDip
The MSc provides specialist in-depth training and hands on experience of the growing range of new analytical techniques used in the Biotechnology sector, and also the computational skills used to maximise the information gained from these methods.
For new graduates wishing to enter the rapidly growing field of Analytical Biotechnology the MSc will provide them with adequate training to allow them to enter employment at a more senior level in areas as diverse as pharmaceuticals, post-genome analysis and the healthcare sector.
Cranfield’s Analytical Biotechnology MSc is the result of extensive industry research and responds to the evident demand for skilled analytical technologists. Delivered by leading academics in new unrivalled facilities the MSc covers a number of desired areas and skill sets, these include:
- Biomolecules and analytical biotechnology
- Sample preservation and separation technology
- Sensors and biosensors
- Spectroscopy and optical devices
- Genomic and post-genomic analytical biotechnology
- Immunochemistry and immunosensors
- Analytical biotechnology and healthcare
- Business of analytical biotechnology
- Instrumentation and software
- Imaging techniques
On successful completion of the MSc course a student will be able to:
- To be able to participate in the discourse of the importance of analytical Biotechnology in modern society
- To demonstrate a critical awareness and understanding of the role of bio-analytical approaches for modern medicine
- To demonstrate a critical awareness and understanding of the role of instrumental analytical approaches and the role they play in the field of medical diagnostics and medicine.
- To be able to participate in the discourse surrounding drivers for the continuing development of analytical biotechnology in the field of modern medicine.
- To develop a critical understanding of the ways in which chemical and biosensors are changing the way in which analytical biotechnology is practised.
- To be able to participate in the discourse of point-of-care monitoring in the context of medical diagnostics.
- To demonstrate a critical awareness of contemporary post-genomic technology and its significance to analytical biotechnology, following the completion of the human genome project.
- To develop a critical awareness and understanding of the field of bioinformatics and its significance to the field of analytical biotechnology.
- To develop a critical understanding of analytical biotechnology and its application to environmental monitoring.
- To develop a critical awareness of unique specificity of many biological chemistries and how biomolecules may be harnessed and exploited for bio analytical applications.
- To be able to demonstrate a critical awareness of the principles and techniques for analysis, monitoring and assessment with particular reference to analytical biotechnology.
- To demonstrate an in-depth understanding of mass spectrometry and its application to post-genomic science and other bio-analytical applications within the context of analytical biotechnology and its practice.
- To be able to participate in the discourse of the commercial exploitation of analytical biotechnology with reference to factors such as the protection of intellectual property, competitive advantages offered by the exploitation of biotechnology – and hurdles associated with bringing new technologies to market.
- To develop a critical awareness of the role of science, the scientific method and research in the modern world.
- To be able to evaluate the published literature in the discipline - where necessary by synthesise information from other disciplines. To be able to carry out appropriate research using the correct technique and draw justifiable inferences from the data obtained.
You will also develop a set of indispensable transferable skills including communication skills, team working, problem solving, independent research skills and data analysis.
- Course Aim
- Course Structure
- Course Content
- Related Research
- Course Team
- Fees and Funding
- Working with Industry
- Career Opportunities
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Out More
- Life at Cranfield